• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whatever happened to the art of the deal!?

People cant haggle. All i get nowadays is whats your bottom dollar.........Well its the asking price so..........:lalala:

This happens more often than not these days. I have come to a point where if I list something, I am pretty much set on the price, and I will clearly state that in my ad. Still, I will cut a guy a break...If I am looking to buy, I will either take it or not. If I don't like the price, I move along...I bought something on here a couple nights ago. His price was very fair and I didn't haggle him. It was simply a matter of when and where to meet.

Selling some stuff, here and on other sites. On another site, had a guy express interest in an item, so I shot him a PM with my offer. A week later, and no reply. I hit him up to make sure he got it, he said that he had but wasn’t interested in it at that price.

1. Have the courtesy to RESPOND.

2. Whatever happened to HAGGLING?! I wasn’t sure he’d bite at the price, and it wasn’t as low as I was willing to go. Does no one dicker anymore?

I had that happen last year as well. Finally, when I prompted the potential buyer some more, we arrived at a price we were both happy with.
It takes two...if one is determined to play hard, it seems impossible sometimes. .most on here are good to deal with. Never hurts to try.

713CAFFC-F6C2-4CE3-91F7-E37BC8163F59.gif

I bought a very nice rifle package on here just after Christmas. Seller had it listed for XX. I suggested that I would pay $400 less but also suggested that if he kept it another 1-2 years I was sure that the market would be less soft.
He thanked me , a few days later asked if my suggestion was an offer?
Yes, we did the deal and everyone was happy.

I figure, if I want to sell something, I have to start at a reasonable dollar price. (I mean sheckle)

What I find is that almost EVERYONE will ask for something off, so I started to add 5 to 10 % for those dickerers....

But most of the time, I am pretty close on the price I want. I usually try to beat the current market, but can't always do that, and sometimes I know the piece is particularly nice one, so there might be a 25% premium over market, since that particular market (on rare pieces) is hard to judge at times.

I think the retail market in the US really doesn't lend itself to dickering...but some will try. lol.

My father would dicker over pig ****.

Honestly, I don't have the time or the patience to play "the game". I put my legit 'what I'm willing to take' price on my items and, likewise, I'll inquire about the bottom dollar on something I'm interested in buying.

Some folks like the back and forth. That's cool. I simply would rather complete a deal and go about my business.

I had a buyer at a large company I called on years ago who would always tell me, “the most that I am willing to pay is the least that you will take”

Back
Top Bottom