• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What , When and Where was you’re first deer

1969, I was 11 and My dad sat me down next to a tree over looking a south Ga creek bottom and walked 50 yards and sat against a tree within sight so he could watch me, A bout an hour after day light I herd My dad whistle and I looked up just as a deer came walking down the creek bottom from his direction. The Little 7 pointer stopped in a opening and was looking at My dad and I raised my sears 30-30 and put it on the deers shoulder and pulled the trigger. He took off running directly at me and fell 20 feet from My feet!!! scared the crap out of me, My dad walked over and was laughing his butt off. I got the traditional Indian war paint blood on the face, A piece of fried deer heart for dinner and was the hero of the camp that night, Some thing Ill never forget! Many hunts over the years and well over 100 deer to My credit later I still remember that one like it was yesterday.

I was 11 years old killed my first deer with my dad, it was a 5 point it. We were sitting on the floor because I had fallen out of his tree stand and was scared to climb them again & so we started sitting on the floor and killed my first buck like that will never forget that moment, I used a 410 shotgun with buckshot

Potter County Pennsylvania, 1968, 8 point buck with 18 inch spread. My uncle did a one man drive, put me in a spot and told me "don't move from this spot, the deer will come through right here." After what seemed forever to a 14 year old kid I heard footsteps in the dry leaves coming my way up the side of the mountain. I thought it was my uncle coming back and almost got up to walk to the edge and see, but I remembered he told me not to move. To my surprise, a doe came over the top headed right toward me, followed by a buck that looked like the biggest buck in the world. My eyes were probably as big around as saucers, couldn't believe it! I had a Marlin lever action 30 US Carbine with iron sights, aimed and shot, the buck started running up the mountain and I shot again as it went over the top. I ran up to the spot where he went over and could see nothing, I figured I had missed. As I was standing there with tears in my eyes I heard rustling in the leaves and started walking toward the sound. There in a depression in the ground lay the buck trying to get back up so I shot him again in the neck. Soon I saw my uncle coming up the side and when he got to me he saw the buck on the ground and the tears in my eyes. When I saw the smile on his face it was without a doubt the best experience in my life for a 14 year old kid that didn't get that from his father. I was hooked for life to deer hunting.

2007 31 years old. Shot in Elko (Houston County) with a M91 New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant - 150gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullet over 53gr. IMR 4350. Sitting in my homemade deer stand (12ft ladder) I welded up that fall, I was drifting a little bit leaning against the tree when I heard leaves crackling. I looked carefully to my right near the dried creek bed and a buck was crossing over the creek. I started to position myself for the shot each time he put his head down. I got my gun up and started to refine my sight picture as he was walking right in front of my stand less than 20 yards out. He kept eyeballing me and was getting twitchy. He was directly in front of me and I put the front sight blade right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He tipped over and never moved again. At all. I cut him open and realized the bullet cut a big groove out of the top of his heart. Instant death.

I was 12 years old. Somewhere around Thanksgiving of 2000. We used to camp down at West Point every year and hunt. My dad has been hunting core land and shot a deer that went on to another mans property. When he went to ask permission to cross on his land they struck up a friendship and the guy let him bring us down once a year to hunt. I had been sitting with my grandfather on the ground that morning and we finally got bored around 11 am and decided to go back to the truck. On the edge of the field that had been bushhogged jumped up a nice 8 pt. He had been bedded in there and gave me a broadside shot at 85 yards. I remember being so nervous and trying to hold the little youth model 243 still while my papa kept, “Bust him bust him”. Good ole days. I had won a stand at a traditional bow hunters banquet raffle that year. I sold it on consignment at Kmart in Carrollton to pay for my mount. He’s the one on the right in the picture
B2D61024-BBDE-48C8-B8E2-4524308E82DA.png

2007 31 years old. Shot in Elko (Houston County) with a M91 New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant - 150gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullet over 53gr. IMR 4350. Sitting in my homemade deer stand (12ft ladder) I welded up that fall, I was drifting a little bit leaning against the tree when I heard leaves crackling. I looked carefully to my right near the dried creek bed and a buck was crossing over the creek. I started to position myself for the shot each time he put his head down. I got my gun up and started to refine my sight picture as he was walking right in front of my stand less than 20 yards out. He kept eyeballing me and was getting twitchy. He was directly in front of me and I put the front sight blade right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He tipped over and never moved again. At all. I cut him open and realized the bullet cut a big groove out of the top of his heart. Instant death.

The Mosin was given to me by a buddy who bought a couple from Roses when he worked there in the early 90s. He said they had barrels of them and his employee discount let him get them for $25 apiece. He wanted me to clean them up for him and straighten a bent cleaning rod for him and I did. I brought them back to him and he asked me which one I liked the most and I told him. He handed it back to me and told me to keep it. Thanks Tony!

at age 12 and from the back of my Dads 56 Ford pickup where he had stationed me and 2 others, he would ride dirt roads in the 60's at night and spotlight Deer, Wabbits anything we could take home and cook, when he always did. My first was a 4 pointer at about 40 yards away and us moving at about 35 MPH, my 410- slug nailed him and they made me bite the heart they had cut out in a ritualistic overtone that amped my young ass up.

December 26 1982 - a nice doe in Upson County right along side Potato Creek. I was using a Remington 742 Woodmaster with a Redfield TV screen 4x scope, see through mounts of course. Ammo was 220gr Round Nose Core Loks. Oddly enough I killed my best buck December 26 1998.

Back
Top Bottom