• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What , When and Where was you’re first deer

4 pt out of chicken house at 5 yards going to my daddy’s garden in 1970 it was around June,he had asked the county sheriff about them eating his garden, his quote was (kill the s.o.b.) times were a little different back then.

I shot my first deer when I was 9 years old. I thought it was a doe, and it turned out to be a button buck. It could have been a new world record and I wouldn't have been any prouder. 40 yards, Remington model 7, iron sights. Killed in Douglas county on our old place off hwy 166, on the Annewakee creek.

Wilkes Co., October 1982. Slug out of an H&R Topper single shot 20 GA.
20200923_164319.jpg

First one was a spike buck that bounced off the grill and hood of my Ford Fairmont.
I used a boy's axe to finish him off after a brief chase in the woods by flashlight.

Second one was taken with a 1979 Buick Riviera. I bent up a bunch of stuff on the undercarriage that time. Deer hair and guts all over the exhaust system-- smelled nasty for the next 300 miles.

It wasn't until a decade later, when I came to know another lawyer with a bunch of land out in the boondocks, that I got to shoot a deer with a rifle.

First one was a spike buck that bounced off the grill and hood of my Ford Fairmont.
I used a boy's axe to finish him off after a brief chase in the woods by flashlight.

Second one was taken with a 1979 Buick Riviera. I bent up a bunch of stuff on the undercarriage that time. Deer hair and guts all over the exhaust system-- smelled nasty for the next 300 miles.

It wasn't until a decade later, when I came to know another lawyer with a bunch of land out in the boondocks, that I got to shoot a deer with a rifle.
I had a neighbor (RIP) who after retiring went back to work delivering the Atlanta Journal. He did that on the rural route for 20 years.
He told me in that time that he had hit 13 deer while delivering his papers and I have no reason to doubt him.

Back
Top Bottom