• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What was it like during the AWB ('94-04)?

My buddy and I bought Colt AR's in 1993 from shooter world in Phoenix, AZ for $649. 2 days after the AWB, we had a guy offer us $2200. We both sold them and I bought a mini 14.

The 94 ban I believe was the inspiration for companies like Kel Tec to start building smaller size pistols in 9mm and larger calibers. There was some confusion as to what was 89 "Preban" and what was 94. 89 Preban stuff was worth a good bit more and still is.

1911s became the king of carry once again and 9mm was out of vogue.

The big manufacturers complied fully with the AWB, most people didn’t even understand it.

Non compliance was pretty common.

Many people discovered that 10 round 40 cal Glock and Beretta mags would hold 14 or so 9mm and work. :becky:

I became gun owning age during the ban, and the 'grandfathered' magazines more than 10 rounds routinely went for $80-$100 each, but were readily available at gun shows and i think even in gun stores that sold used parts and accessories. You will see today older magazines marked "law enforcement only" - those were the ones produced during the ban and I presume if you were not LEO and got caught with one during that time, there was a stiff penalty. Once the ban sunset, it didn't take long for mag prices to go back to normal and the "law enforcement only" markings no longer mattered, other than to date the magazine as having been produced during the AWB. The other thing I noticed was that folding stock design and production ramped up pretty quickly after the sunset in 1994.

You want to know what it was like? It was an expensive joke.

There were more ARs available 2 years after the ban went into effect than before. There never was a shortage of mags, just more expensive. And there was NO enforcement.

So was the 10 year duration of the ban something that they had to compromise on in order to pass the law? I always thought it was a miracle they didn't pass it on forever-like.

Back
Top Bottom