• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What was it like during the AWB ('94-04)?

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
Hoping to hear from people that lived it. I was young and poor back then so firearms weren't on my radar. As I understand it, ARs currently owned were grandfathered in so you could own them, new supply just ceased.

Did people totally freak out before the AWB or were ARs just not a big deal back then?
Were parts hard to get? Accessories? Ammo?

I understand that the market is vastly different now so none of this may be applicable to what a modern AWB might be like. I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a political debate. I'm just hoping to get a little insight on what was happening just before and during the old AWB from people that lived it.

You could still buy Ar’s without a flash suppressor, no adjustable butt stock, no bayonet lug, mags where limited to 10 rds, only military and law enforcement had the high cap mags, and they were marked as so. Pistols only had 10 rd mags, again only LE and military had the high caps mags, all the high cap mags prior to the ban were grandfathered in and most were available for around 100 bucks each, which was a good chunk of change back in 1994

Bushmaster AR’s were $800 and Colts were over a $1000...there weren’t really a bunch of boutique manufacturers back then. The rule of thumb was ABC...Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt...DPMS, Eagle and Olympic Arms were cheaper but considered crap. Bayonet lugs were ground off, muzzle devices were welded on and stocks were fixed...and mostly A2 style. Ammo was $200 for a thousand rounds of Winchester Q3131A...and you could buy South African battle packs-$33 for 300 rounds of 5.56!

I bought two Mak90’s with a dozen Chinese mags including two 75 round drums and 1500 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 ammo for $350 each...that wasn’t even considered a “steal of a deal”.

AR15 mags were $25 a pop for surplus Vietnam era usgi mags and I did pay $85 for a butler creek 25rnd 10/22 mag and $60 for a 15rnd Glock 22 “preban” mag...and the worst part was a couldn’t come cry and moan on ODT about how unfair the flippers and gougers were at the gun shows!

I agree a new ban would be much different. Still, interesting to hear what it was like. Sounds like it wasn't a huge problem but the mag capacity limit sure seems like it sucked.

It did...mag prices went through the roof. Little supply/very high demand will do that...a concept that seems to elude so many on the ODT these days!

It was bull****. Just like this current administration is bull****. A statist assault on a God given right that is clearly spelled out in the Constitution. #joebiden

Back
Top Bottom