• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What percent of live weight do you expect to get back in meat?

What percentage of live weight do you expect/get back in meat?

• 25% or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26-30%

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 31-35%

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • 36-40%

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 41%+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I've used for processors for a LONG time. Wish I had the space and equipment to do them myself but don't. Hopefully one day....
I always have the lingering doubts but honestly with the exception of one bad experience in west GA, felt 'ok' with what I received back.
A rule of thumb for white tails I've often heard was about 33%. But have also seen claims well north of 40%. I shot a buck a couple weeks ago. My processor does not use a scale, but I have one. I am now questioning my scale as it said the live weight was only 165#. This was a mature buck. https://theoutdoorstrader.com/posts/10754237/
I received back 56# of meat. PURE meat, no added fat, no jerky, sausage, etc. to make the calculation fuzzy. That comes out to 34%. It felt right but now I'm curious what others have seen real world. Especially those of you that do your own (assuming you weigh anything).

I always thought at least 50%. I believe you should have got more than 30% back with a mature buck. Something’s not right, but did you get that 165# gutted?

30-40% sounds about right. Shooting the deer thru the front shoulder can change quite a bit tho.

Agree with this.

If you get a perfect heart/lung shot with a predictable exit on the opposite, you may get on the high side of that range. Bullets in terminal mode don't always go in a straight line, so the chance of some meat being unusable is always there.

Depends on shot placement and the person who is doing the processing.

I knocked a small doe in the head and processed myself. I had around 65-70lbs of meat

I knocked a young buck in the shoulder and took to a local processor gutted... got a 50lb frozen box in return... in all fairness the processor was slammed and was aiming for speed

Back
Top Bottom