• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What percent of live weight do you expect to get back in meat?

What percentage of live weight do you expect/get back in meat?

• 25% or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26-30%

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 31-35%

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • 36-40%

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 41%+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
We always figure about 1/3 of body weight unless bad shot. It has been pretty consistent with most of the deer I have shot. I haven't picked my last doe yet but here a stats. Live 120 on scale, gutted and head removed for hanging 88#. Expecting about 35# of meat since I had some made i to jerky.

I have processed my own for more than 20 years. 25 to 30% is all you get unless you go for the neck, strip out the legs, and throw some heart meat in it.

Standing weight, even less, mainly because there is so much weight in the gut and other internals.

If you want more meat, shoot more deer!

Now if you shoot a little doe, expect about a Kroger sack of meat back as most of it is guts, hide, and bone. That's what we call them and try not to shoot them unless we have been blanked going into late season.

I did get 120 pounds back (frozen) from a processor once from a 125 pound deer. 2 coolers full!

I think someone got shorted. LOL
That's what bothers me even more than the quantity is wanting MY deer back. Mine go from walking to hanging in the cooler in minutes, literally. I don't want somebody's that's been parading it around all day on the hood of their car.

I do my own and strip it to the bones. Get 25-30% or a bit more. This is some of two that I’ve gotten.
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom