• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What percent of live weight do you expect to get back in meat?

What percentage of live weight do you expect/get back in meat?

• 25% or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26-30%

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 31-35%

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • 36-40%

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 41%+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
randy_math.jpeg

IMG_9307.jpg

This little lady clocked in at 65lbs field dressed and lower leg halves cut off. I got 25lbs including packaging from a processor near jefferson. I get the backstraps whole and grind the rest. That said, i've had a wide rate of return from different processors. I used a processor near Lula for 3 deer a couple of years ago and felt like i wasnt getting the best available return. Example: a 80# doe yielded 25lbs. A 110lb buck yielded 33lbs. A 140lb buck yielded 38lb, all field dressed. These were all shot behind the shoulder through the ribs. When I questioned the amount of meat they advised me that I can take my business elsewhere. Therefore I did.

Everyone that deer hunts needs to process a deer, even if you normally pay to get it done.

A good size cooler and a pocket knife is all you need. Sure, I could name a half dozen other tools and pieces of equipment, but a cooler and pocket knife can do it.

There are many decisions that must be made, all impacting the amount and quality of the meat, and the time necessary to do the job.

Everyone I know complains about how much meat they get back. It is not a new subject

Everyone that deer hunts needs to process a deer, even if you normally pay to get it done.

A good size cooler and a pocket knife is all you need. Sure, I could name a half dozen other tools and pieces of equipment, but a cooler and pocket knife can do it.

There are many decisions that must be made, all impacting the amount and quality of the meat, and the time necessary to do the job.

Everyone I know complains about how much meat they get back. It is not a new subject
Agreed...its hard work to butcher and debone an animal to get the best quantity and quality meat possible. However, when you pay someone that has the tools and knowledge to do it, you expect the best return. The processors I've used have charged a flat rate regardless of deer size. Maybe they should charge by the yielded pound.

Back
Top Bottom