What instructors will offer free firearms training to our educators?

Salient 1

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
172   0
Reaction score
I only ask that we do not turn this thread into a debate and have senseless ranting and bickering... The title says it all... If you are a certified instructor, or you know a certified instructor that is willing to step up and offer free firearms training to our educators, please post contact information and location in this thread. If you charge a fee for a background check prior to training, or any additional fees ( rentals, ammunition, etc. ) please post the amount of the fees, however the instruction and certification should be free. I hope that the information shared in this thread will assist in making our countries most precious resource much more safe in the future... God Bless our country, our children, and the ODT.

I am willing to pay the fee for 1 educator to either Willr1's beginners class or Protective Measures beginners class. I could even supply a "loaner" pistol (G19 or M&P9 fullsize with SERPA). They will need to supply their own ammo though.
Protective Measures is in Dalton and Willr1 in Barrow County/Athens.
Any educator's feel free to PM me.

EDIT - If Will or Monty waive the fee I will supply the ammo (300 rounds 9mm) / for educators only.

EDIT Jan 10 - Looks like I will be helping MMatt30 with his basic pistol class.

Last edited:
In January I am scheduled to make presentations to 3 separate private schools (& possibly a 4th) on exploring the possibilities of training the staff & faculty of their schools in the use of firearms as well as increasing their passive security measures.

While I am very willing to offer a customized curriculum for this environment to harden the schools defenses and teach the staff members who volunteer to become armed "guardians" for their school, this is how I make my living & like most things in life you get what you pay for.

The customized classes that I offer are not that expensive... especially compared to the cost of a full-time security guard.

How many of you on here could afford to travel from place to place & offer the services entailed in your job for free?
Firearms training is an occupation just like a doctor, or mechanic, or other profession where a single mistake could result in the injury or death of someone else.

And as far as getting just anybody who knows how to fire a gun "teaching" them, do you really want the least qualified people training others to possibly shoot a firearm in a crowded room full of children?

The curriculum that I (& others professionals like myself I'm sure) will provide would offer an even higher standard of proficiency than required of Law Enforcement officers or Private/ Armed security agents. The P.O.S.T. standard only requires passing a 30 rd. course & the Priv./ Armed security course is 48... both of which are only required annually.
I would like to see volunteers who are dedicated & either have or are able to gain the right mindset, "qualify" no less than 3 times per year.

Just as most security agencies that are serious about their protective security personnel requiring their agents who protect others in high risk environments to shoot no less than a score of 90% on their qual. targets I believe these "guardians" need to be trained to a higher standard.

Ultimately this will be up to others to determine what they are comfortable with but my recommendations will be along these lines.
My children go to a private school & I shudder at the thought of most L.E. officers that I know shooting around them. Like most dept's, our local P.D. has some real shooters... and then there are the other guys.

The price to train these staff members to these levels will not be unreasonable at all. Like myself, other professionals who train people for a living should be more focused on helping these people reach & maintain a high standard of proficiency than "gouging" them.
If we could do it for free, we would... but it does not have to cost a fortune.

Last edited:
Thanks. Monty. Well thought out as always my friend.

Thank you for the kind words.
I'm working w/ some L.E. officers who are tasked w/ Active Shooter Interdiction on these matters currently.

I can tell you that nationwide the Firearm Instructor community is taking this very serious & wants to do everything we can to stop or at least reduce these tragedies.

The Rome Police Department offers an 8 hour "Womens Only" (most educators in elementry and Primary schools are women) basic firearms class for $20. They provide the handguns, all ammo, and indoor classroom and indoor range. Each woman will fire approximately 200 frangible rounds during the course of instruction so it is a very good deal for $20 and would be an awesome opprotunity for educators in the NW corner of GA.

If the educators are willing to pay for range time and ammo I will donate my time as an instructor. I can supply clients with either an S&W M&P 40 full size or M&P 9 full size. The ranges that I work with have a wide variety of rental guns which are generally $5 to rent and targets range from $.50-$1.00. Please send me a private message for any details. I will require that educators have a form of ID to confirm their employment. I am located in Athens but am willing to travel as far as Monore for free instruction. I am an NRA Certified Instructor as well as a instructor for a private security and LEO training academy. Please PM me for any details or to set up a class.

My fathers firearms school in New Mexico is offering there classes free to educators. The classes are two day classes and normally cost 200 buck for two days instruction and you provide your own gun and ammo. They are providing guns and ammo for the teachers and since the shooting in Connecticut they have had about 30 educators attend their classes. The class also qualifies for the states cow training requirement.

Back
Top Bottom