• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What inspired you to like the guns you like?

growing up hearing stories from my old man. From becoming a paratrooper at a young age for the Honduran Air Force and being issued a new fresh M14 to fighting communists with an FAL during the Iran contra scandal. His stories from his time with the National Police started that love which led me to pursuing law enforcement myself. From there probably playing Resident Evil on PlayStation lol an Inox Beretta 92fs was the first pistol I bought.

All sorts of things. Some I have are strictly nostalgic from video games, or reading what is being used overseas. Some due to the place they hold in firearms history. Most of what I have these days serves a "purpose" and is is built for said purpose.

My dad's old Winchester Model 12. When my brother and I were kids, he bought us a single shot 22 and .410 that were tons of fun but not works of art like the 12. I agree with the OP, now that CZ has gone modular with their rifles, until you get up in the Cooper level, no new rifles really tempt me. Shotguns are a bit better, but I find myself drawn to the ultra simple Winchester model 37s than a black stocked autoloader or pump. My school library also got Guns and Ammo so that was always good reading.

The first guns that I learned to shoot were all auto-loaders, a .22 rifle, a Colt 1911, and an M1 Garand. I sampled a few different pistols and rifles, and I found myself drawn to Daewoo ARs, Glock pistols, and M14s. Daewoo because they were different and cheap at the time, Glock because nobody knew much about them at the time, and the M14 because a good friend that served on Enterprise in the mid 70's had some great stories about the M14s they had on board. Comic books, video games, and movies had no influence.

I grew up with them all the time. My father was a huge gun nut. I never remember a time without them. We were shooting before we could ride tricycles I bet. I know my daughter was with me when she was young…just As my dad took me when I was her age. Always intrigued by them and always was able to scratch the itch safely ! :)
Thanks Dad !!

My Grandfather, Uncle and my Dad didn't buy expensive guns way back in the day. They were poor. So single shot weapons were what they had. The only reason my Dad got that A5 was because he won it in $1 raffle. After he married my step Mom, my new Grandfather was a gun dealer out west. Now that was cool. Anyway my Dad wound up buying a old Colt double action 38 for $100 and a first gen Colt SSA in 45LC for $400. That was a lot of money back then. So that's where I get the firing pin is supposed to be in the hammer. He later scored a Winchester M70 in 30-06 for @ $225 with scope and a Wini M190 I think 22 S,L&LR.
I remembered that I traded my Dad my 45 cal CVA Hawken I made for a Hawes 22 single action with western rig not long before I turned 21. That was my first firearm pistol. He still has that rifle. A friend of mine latter talked me out of that gun. Paid me $200 for it. I then bought a Ruger Security Six for $225 latter.

My Grandfather, Uncle and my Dad didn't buy expensive guns way back in the day. They were poor. So single shot weapons were what they had. The only reason my Dad got that A5 was because he won it in $1 raffle. After he married my step Mom, my new Grandfather was a gun dealer out west. Now that was cool. Anyway my Dad wound up buying a old Colt double action 38 for $100 and a first gen Colt SSA in 45LC for $400. That was a lot of money back then. So that's where I get the firing pin is supposed to be in the hammer. He later scored a Winchester M70 in 30-06 for @ $225 with scope and a Wini M190 I think 22 S,L&LR.
I remembered that I traded my Dad my 45 cal CVA Hawken I made for a Hawes 22 single action with western rig not long before I turned 21. That was my first firearm pistol. He still has that rifle. A friend of mine latter talked me out of that gun. Paid me $200 for it. I then bought a Ruger Security Six for $225 latter.

The Firing Pin is supposed to be on the Hammer of Revolvers because that's where God, Samuel Colt, Horace Smith & Daniel Baird Wesson all intended for it to be... :)

Back
Top Bottom