• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What does your fitness routine look like?

I guess I'll be the party pooper and say I actually train 4-5 times per week, taking bits and pieces from different workout programs. I follow Pat McNamara's Combat Strength Training, borrow some stuff from Bobby Maximus, and every now and then will reference a document from Mark Twight (Gym Jones). I am pushing 50, so I have definitely noticed that I don't have the stamina or strength I once used to, but I still like to grind it out. I used to belong to the local Gold's Gym, but grew tired of waiting on equipment, or them not having the gear I need so over about two years I have put together my own. Nearly 600lbs of olympic weights, dumbbells in sizes from 25-75lbs, kettle bells from 25-55lbs, heavy bag, airdyne bike, glute-ham machine, sandbags, resistance bands, etc. I love going to Play it Again Sports and buying other people's discount workout gear- it saves me lots of $$$.
Strength, power, and conditioning mostly. I don't do any long-slow-distance training as I don't see the point. After 23 years in the military, going on a 4-6-10 mile run was pointless then, and even more so now (for me, that is).

upload_2018-8-9_14-47-9.gif

I guess I'll be the party pooper and say I actually train 4-5 times per week, taking bits and pieces from different workout programs. I follow Pat McNamara's Combat Strength Training, borrow some stuff from Bobby Maximus, and every now and then will reference a document from Mark Twight (Gym Jones). I am pushing 50, so I have definitely noticed that I don't have the stamina or strength I once used to, but I still like to grind it out. I used to belong to the local Gold's Gym, but grew tired of waiting on equipment, or them not having the gear I need so over about two years I have put together my own. Nearly 600lbs of olympic weights, dumbbells in sizes from 25-75lbs, kettle bells from 25-55lbs, heavy bag, airdyne bike, glute-ham machine, sandbags, resistance bands, etc. I love going to Play it Again Sports and buying other people's discount workout gear- it saves me lots of $$$.
Strength, power, and conditioning mostly. I don't do any long-slow-distance training as I don't see the point. After 23 years in the military, going on a 4-6-10 mile run was pointless then, and even more so now (for me, that is).
I'm pretty much with you. Been lifting for decades at this point and still going fairly heavy but have adjusted to doing some conditioning type stuff. Mostly adding more reps for leg days. I try, but don't always succeed to take a 1.5 mile walk up the road and back 1-2 days a week with the level IV plate carrier on which I believe weighs around 20 lbs. and a sidearm. I'd tote an AR too but I walk past an elementary school so I can just imagine the panic! Always hated running and was never well adapted to it. We ran a timed 1.5 mile every week for football in high school and when it started I hated it, felt like passing out when it was done. By the end of the season I just plain hated it but was only sucking wind! lol I just try to keep a good constant pace with the walk, nothing leisurely but not a psuedo-run either. My focus is and has always been on strength with some minor stamina. Also knocking on 50's door but refuse to accept that its a limitation. :D Used to compete in powerlifting and still feel like I could get the poundage up there if I trained for it but focusing on higher reps for a while so I can carry some weight for distance if I needed to.

I have a 4 year old son who keeps me up and going constantly. He is enough to keep me very active, all by himself. We stay outside and we stay busy. It is good for him and it is good for me, so I am always up for going out and doing whatever he wants. At night I sleep like a baby because of it. LOL

I ride my bike a lot, walk 3-5 miles every night at work, do a lot of anaerobic exercises (push ups, pull ups,etc.) and lift 3-4 days a week. I shoot basketball quite a bit. I also put the plate carrier on and run and gun at my spot as often as I can. I work outside everyday, and walk in the woods regularly. I train and practice martial arts a few times a week. Cardio is important to me, even more so than lifting, but neither should be neglected.

I've really stepped up my fitness lifestyle over the past 18 months. I get bored with simply working out or running, so I need variety. Looking at it like work is not motivating, so I try to do very physical activities that I really enjoy, and reap the benefits of being in better shape. I feel better, to say the least.

I am by no means a fitness beast, but want to point out that chores and non-sedentary activity are not fitness efforts. Case in point- early last year I start hiking my neighboring mountain for some exercise. I saw gains in my bottom to top times and then plateaued. 45 minutes and couldn't do faster by more than a few seconds. I met a personal trainer and we started working out together, started taking a team training class that she teaches. Cardio got amped and I saw exertion levels I've never seen before. She got me on weights and even more milestones were reached. I hit the mountain yesterday after a three month break from hiking it. I was hitting my waypoints 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes faster and less cardio impact.

My point is that mowing the yard or walking the dog isn't going to give you the fitness you'll need for doing anything more than mowing grass and dogwalking. You have to frequently exceed your expected level of exertion in training to be able to perform to that level with any degree of high output. Don't kid yourself. It takes work. I've done the buying gear and show and tell, and playing it out in my head. When it's time to stomp pavement, it's not enough to be able to go for a walk. You don't have enough adrenalin to make up for the shortcomings.

In case it comes of abrasive, I'm 48 and it's too late to be a SF dude, but I am gaining as if I'm 30 and have shown myself I have more in me than a remote control hand and a beer hand.

FWIW, my goal was just fitness-improving my strength and cardio. Without skipping meals, just adapting to new and better foods (more veggies, less-almost zero bread and processed junk, plenty of meat) I've dropped 26 pounds since March- from 238 to 212, have clearly more strength and tone, much less back issues, can carry more.

It is good to see the workout routines of so many members here on ODT. One must take care of the body they have, it is the only one we get. I totally embrace the fact that workouts are necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle and would suggest that everyone on this site find their own workout level. A little exercise is better than no exercise at all. Frankly, whenever I feel the urge to workout, I try to lie down until that feeling passes.

I do Brazilian Jujitsu 3-4 times every week (Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) and try to hit the weights twice per week. . .normally on days that I don't train BJJ, but there are times on Saturdays when I'll do Jujitsu in the morning and lift late in the evening. When I started BJJ 4 years ago I was 235lb and a mess physically. I just turned 40 in May, and now I'm 185-190lb, pretty fit, and I feel better than I did in my 20s. I must issue a disclaimer though regarding BJJ, it seems like I keep some sort of small injury and I've had one major one (herniated disc in my neck). I love it though!

I am by no means a fitness beast, but want to point out that chores and non-sedentary activity are not fitness efforts. Case in point- early last year I start hiking my neighboring mountain for some exercise. I saw gains in my bottom to top times and then plateaued. 45 minutes and couldn't do faster by more than a few seconds. I met a personal trainer and we started working out together, started taking a team training class that she teaches. Cardio got amped and I saw exertion levels I've never seen before. She got me on weights and even more milestones were reached. I hit the mountain yesterday after a three month break from hiking it. I was hitting my waypoints 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes faster and less cardio impact.

My point is that mowing the yard or walking the dog isn't going to give you the fitness you'll need for doing anything more than mowing grass and dogwalking. You have to frequently exceed your expected level of exertion in training to be able to perform to that level with any degree of high output. Don't kid yourself. It takes work. I've done the buying gear and show and tell, and playing it out in my head. When it's time to stomp pavement, it's not enough to be able to go for a walk. You don't have enough adrenalin to make up for the shortcomings.

In case it comes of abrasive, I'm 48 and it's too late to be a SF dude, but I am gaining as if I'm 30 and have shown myself I have more in me than a remote control hand and a beer hand.

FWIW, my goal was just fitness-improving my strength and cardio. Without skipping meals, just adapting to new and better foods (more veggies, less-almost zero bread and processed junk, plenty of meat) I've dropped 26 pounds since March- from 238 to 212, have clearly more strength and tone, much less back issues, can carry more.
That is awesome to hear man! Like so many things "they" say, I think the constant rhetoric of "men lose testosterone over 40" is drummed into peoples head to the point that they "Feel" like they are tired, weak, unable to lose weight etc...Obviously age is an SOB and we slow down/lose abilities the older we get but "they" apparently want us to feel 80 when we get over 40! Undoubtedly to sell testosterone supplements or get people on TRT therapy or just to make an excuse for laziness. I do feel for the folks that work 10, 12, 14 hrs a day plus have a family etc. Only so many hours in a day and so much energy to get through it. I've always had fitness as a priority since high school, just in my blood, so I've always made sure there was some amount of time to devote to working out. Thankfully no unexpected hurdles have come up to stop that more than temporarily. People in their 40's and 50's accomplishing high level fitness goals are NOT freaks or genetically gifted, they are just highly motivated!

Here's a few fitness programs/philosophies for whomever would like to check them out. Like I said, I don't necessarily follow any one of them religiously- but I do incorporate exercises and plans from each depending on what I want to work on that day/week/month.
Hmm looks like I cannot attach Word documents, so I'm limited to just these pdfs. I'f anyone's interested in some other stuff- just PM me and I will email you..

Attachments

• Combat+Strength+Training-1stEd2015-3.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
  • CoutureComplex.pdf
    521.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Elite_Physical_Conditioning_Program_week6_sample.pdf
    347.6 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom