• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is a good SW radio at a reasonable price?

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I'm a Ham radio operator and have HF and VHF gear and antennas. I was talking to a buddy and he wanted to know about a good SW radio that will "listen" out a ways if the internet and TV are off the air. I'm embarassed since I have a few good Short Wave radios but can't give a recommendation for a good multi-band radio that has maybe a built in solar charger and/or crank (not one of those plastic handled ones) and can be hooked up to an external antenna and maybe even come shielded from EMP.

Does such a thing exist for less than a ton and a half of dollars?

Thanks,
Cliff
DE N5GWU

Your definition of reasonable and mine might be totally different. Do you want good or do you want garbage?
I know what my HF and VHF gear cost and reasonable is a price comparable to them. Garbage is garbage and if you buy something for $100 bucks it will usually make a good boat anchor. Reasonable for a short wave radio that will do what I think is needed is between 300 and $500. Your mileage may vary.

IF you buy anything.....anywhere....BE CAREFUL!!! there are soooo many China copies out there!!! I know this from experience!!! bought what I thought was a Baofeng off eBay....did my homework....still got screwed!!! eBay, even after I proved to them that they are fake, did nothing....eBay basically encourages fake sellers....it's money to them, what do they care....I would go the manufacturer, if possible, and buy there....

Back
Top Bottom