• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What can i do to make gas mileage and maybe horse power better?

I doubt there is anything you can do that will make any meaningful MPG difference. Weight savings is probably your best bet for horsepower gains as it directly affects your power-to-weight ratio. Removing that camper top(?) and those step bars could save you a good bit of weight.

factory lift of 3in i believe. probably not going to take the camper off, I like it too much. I don't carry much in there. I have two car seat for the kiddos, some jumper cables and a chain. If anyone is interested those tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are awesome and have performed well for me.

Step 1. Remove 5.9L Gas V8

Step 2. Replace with 5.9L Cummins 6BT 12 Valve.

I have a 1994 2500 4x4 diesel and got 24 MPG highway on my last tank. I usually average about 20 MPG mixed. It's slow and loud but gets great mileage for a truck and will pull/tow/haul just about anything you'd want.

Otherwise, dropping weight will be the easiest/cheapest option. A camper shell is a good idea, but not like what you have. Believe it or not, on the hyper-miling forums there are guys with pickups that build custom bed toppers that drastically improve airflow and decrease drag. Some claim 5-7 MPG improvements, but to buy one is comically high. If you can build one out of fiberglass and fill the body gap between the cad and bed it would work. Just a matter of how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

I had a 98 dodge 2500 4x4 and it was the same way. You can change the front and rear gears to a 3.73 or 3.55 ratio if you're not pulling anything over 6 or 7 thousand lbs
Or there's a select few programmers that will help a little but you're not going to get more mpgs unless you change the gears or keep it under 2k rpms
I believe they have 4.10 gears so honestly a gear change would be the cheapest if you plan on keeping it.
Or you could sell it to me....

Look on the bright side. I have a 97 jeep with a 2.5 I get 13
max and at least you can pull something. I've tried. Everything and think the only way to improve may be replacement.

Thanks for the info guys. I know that it is probably impossible to make it much better. And probably not much worth the money. I do not drive the truck a lot. I bought the truck almost 3 years ago and it will be paid off in the next 3 months. When I bought it a put new plugs, wires, etc on it. I change the oil once a year with about 300-3500 miles on it a year. Most of my driving is around town. taking the kids here and there. 2-6 mile trips at time. (i have a take home car for work) I try to be easy on the gas because I know it helps and i pull our pop-up camper with it. I have new tires on it. i just put them on and had the front aligned and all that the week we had all of the snow. The truck is not fast but it will pull and go anywhere I need it too. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Alan

Not much else you can do that will be worthwhile.

As far as going easy on the gas, take it to the extreme and try to brake as little as possible. Coast when you can; slow down uphill and let gravity speed you back up. You can gain a few mpg, but it may be hard to notice with the short trips.

Back
Top Bottom