• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What can i do to make gas mileage and maybe horse power better?

alw357

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Let me say first that i have very little knowledge of engines and mechanics. Having said that, i drive a 2001 dodge ram 2500 v8 (5.9 liter 360). This truck is the extra cab (not crew) and is 4x4. What, if anything, are some things that i can do to improve gas mileage and maybe horse power? I currently get about 9-10 miles to the gallon. Everything is stock parts at this point.

Thanks in advance,

alan

Under-drive pulleys?

Headers/free-flow exhaust?

Drive it like you have an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal?

Thank you all for the responses. It does have Flow-masters or other type exhaust. I have thought about K&N air filters or a cold air intake. I just don't know how big a difference it would make. As for some of the answers you may have to be a little more specific. Like I said I know little to nothing about motors and being a mechanic. I can build an AR, Glock or Sig though. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the responses. It does have Flow-masters or other type exhaust. I have thought about K&N air filters or a cold air intake. I just don't know how big a difference it would make. As for some of the answers you may have to be a little more specific. Like I said I know little to nothing about motors and being a mechanic. I can build an AR, Glock or Sig though. Thanks again.

If you're looking for a cheap mod, the K&N high-flow air filter may get you anywhere from 2-5 MPGs (I don't have your engine, but I saw a +3 MPG gain in my BMW).

Back
Top Bottom