• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What can i do to make gas mileage and maybe horse power better?

Alan have owned two of these trucks ,tune up,high flow air filter,and getting a smaller truck is the only way to improve gas mileage,not trying to be a smart ass but 11/12 mpg is the best your going to get, these trucks are gas pigs, heavy and under powered even with the 5.9 not really good for daily commuting, I was a ASE cert and worked for dodge while ago,the thinner the tire/higher profile will help a bit as well,but if you have big tires and wheels ...good luck...Brad
Yeah, I put 305/70s on mine and get squat for MPGs.I also have the 8800lbs axles so the truck is real heavy.I can pull hell off its hinges, but won't pass a gas station!

Yeah, I put 305/70s on mine and get squat for MPGs.I also have the 8800lbs axles so the truck is real heavy.I can pull hell off its hinges, but won't pass a gas station!

yep i understand completely,these trucks are great for hauling and farm work ,contractor with towing needs,but never had any get good gas mileage. 1.79/1.8o gallon wasn't much of an issue then but a lot of these got sidelined after the hurricane raised gas prices and then obama

These trucks don't respond well to aftermarket programmers,for what you would spend to chip it out , your not really getting any payback,you really need to seek out a dodge programmer for fuel curve change but the danger is leaning one out and frying a valve or detonating a piston. Dodge computers suck and i say that form experience not like the fords or chevs they pretty much tried to modernize the old school motor to comply with California emissions standards..and well ...not to good and when they were carbed they made about 13/15mpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I know that it is probably impossible to make it much better. And probably not much worth the money. I do not drive the truck a lot. I bought the truck almost 3 years ago and it will be paid off in the next 3 months. When I bought it a put new plugs, wires, etc on it. I change the oil once a year with about 300-3500 miles on it a year. Most of my driving is around town. taking the kids here and there. 2-6 mile trips at time. (i have a take home car for work) I try to be easy on the gas because I know it helps and i pull our pop-up camper with it. I have new tires on it. i just put them on and had the front aligned and all that the week we had all of the snow. The truck is not fast but it will pull and go anywhere I need it too. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Alan

Remove the hundreds of pounds of extra weight. If you don't need it, remove it. If you can live with out it, live without it. This, outside a tuneup, is the only cost effective means of increasing MPG. Anything else is snake oil.

Ok so I can tell you what NOT to do, based on personal experience from the late 70's early 80's, I don't know for sure, I tried to forget but anyway, under no circumstances should you order a "fuel pressure regulator" from the JC Whitney Catalog and install it on your fathers F100 Ford PU that has been "given" to you to drive to high school during the week while he is out of town.

Regardless of how supposedly easy it is to cut the fuel line and install this miracle fuel pressure regulator, it will leak. Should you choose to do this despite my warnings, be prepared for any ass whipping that may come your way from said Father when he returns and has to replace the fuel line on "your" truck.

You sound like an interesting person who may have earned a PhD from The School of Hard Knocks.
Please share other "lessons learned" with us!!! :)

Here's the beast in question:

DSC01328.jpg

Thanks again folks for the comments and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom