What caliber would you go with and why

Both kill deer equally dead. My wife was at this debate last year all the way until she went to the store. She was down to 223, 243, 6.5, and maybe 270. She fell in love with a rifle for its wood furniture, good bluing, and spiral fluted bolt (ugh), when she went to get it they had it in 243 or 308 at the store with the price she wanted to pay. She didn't want 308, so 243 it was. She never has looked back with any regrets so far, she is very happy with the rifle and is looking at getting it a big sister (270) because her preferred scope, BSA sweet, has a 270 model. But, she has the same brand on her Marlin 60 and Marlin 783.

Last year she never pulled the trigger on a deer. After it was all over she was kicking herself for not adding to the freezer herself. She says she is getting it done this year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

iu

107146.jpg

Equivalent to .30-30 and second most readily available rifle caliber in the world, excluding .22lr.

.243 vs 6.5CM you’re splitting hairs. You said it’s not for long range shooting or crazy shots so the ballistic difference between them is mute. I would go 6.5CM just for the larger bullet and larger array of bullet weights available. The .243 deer sized bullets are pretty much between 95-105 grain bullets. You can shoot up to 115s in them but now that some specialty ammo With a very specific twist.

6.5CM is here to stay.

Back
Top Bottom