• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What brand of long term food storage do you use?

Just canned goods and rotate them. A lot of stuff now has 3+ year use by dates.
I think any canned goods not containing tomato products would be good for at least 5 years. A lot of us would run out of meds (and tp) long before food.

Mountain house and Wise, partial to both. eat them regulary camping and replace. Have only ever bought them when the bulk buckets go on sale at Midway, couple times a year. Got a big bucket of Augason Farms powdered milk before Christmas that had great reviews, think it makes 50 gallons. With my kids it feels like that would be lucky to last a month.

Prepared meals in buckets. Who do you use?
Swing by @TruPrep and pick up some 02 absorbers, Mylar bags, & 5 gallon buckets (they usually have a selection of Mtn House, etc, as well). You can seal the bags with your wife’s flat iron or a clothes iron. Bulk rice, seasoning, etc, at Costco, and you’re gtg (remember to label the president of the buckets).

I like the idea above, from @SKEETER25, about packing a heat source (lighter & candles) as well.

I use Mason, Knox and Ball. (canning)
But I also have bulk rice, oats, pinto beans, salt, red and white wheat berries in sealed mylar lined sealed 5 gallon buckets with o2 absorbers.
30 year shelf life.
Cheapest insurance I ever bought.

Wise is the nastiest garbage i've ever eaten. Nasty consistency and texture, no flavor to speak of. I had a bunch of beans and rice for a while, but realized the (lentils) wouldnt re-hydrate after 3 years of storage in mylar bags w/ O2 absorbers and desicant.
The vacuum sealer and bags i got from target sucked hard as well, everything i tried to seal with it puffed back up eventually.

Mountain house has always tasted really good to me as far as freeze dried stuff goes. For food storage i mainly do canned stuff, and dried grains. Anything acidic or oily (nuts, coffee, jerky/ sausage) should be rotated out yearly because the fats go rancid.

I really reccomend this instant coffee, its very tasty and cheap:https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Coffee-Sachets-11-3-320g/dp/B008A0AL0G

Back
Top Bottom