• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s your fitness standard?

Currently my goal is just less fat and more muscle than I had last week.

We've already seen a minor SHTF situation with Covid and it wasn't kind to fat people, so I'd say the leaner and stronger we can all get the better.
This, past a certain age building muscle is damn near impossible so you have to have realistic fitness goals and less excess mass is probably the most immediate goal.

My place is big enough that I should be able to lay out a walking path and at least try to take a short walk daily and a longer one as time permits.
I've started doing tai chi to stretch out and loosen the old joints and I must say that after only a couple of months I can really tell the difference in my mobility and flexibility.
I have physical limitations that prohibit intense and strenuous exercise so I work within those barriers to try and improve my fitness.
My goal is to be able to get up and go to the fridge for a snack without making that "old guy noise "when I stand up.
I'll never be svelte but I don't want to spend my final years trapped in a fat suit.

Been working out for a little bit and trying to eat better to kick off some weight, but having an issue with an end goal. That’s to say: I have no idea where I’m going or what I’m going for besides “lose fat, get stronger.”

What’s your fitness goals as it relates to a shtf type scenario? What should I be aiming for?

Some generic examples:

1 mile run: ___:___
Carry ___ lbs for ___ distance
Deadlift ___ lbs ___ times
When I was younger maybe, but now, pretty much non-existing

If I, at my age in my 50s, had a fitness goal this is what it would look like and it would probably take me two years of training to reach this level:

1 mile run: ___8:30
6 mile run: 1 hour, no stopping to walk unless there are some really significant hills.

Hand Carry (a box or package, no shoulder straps): ___80 lbs for __200 yards.

Deadlift (a loaded barbell) 300 lbs.

And:

Do 20 pull-ups in a row.

Do 50 push ups in a row.

This is the test the Police Officers in Warner Robins have to do . Not sure if it is quarterly or yearly ? ( builds confidence so they don't shoot fleeing suspecting in the back )

Yeah that’s a state course/requirement now we have to run the same one. It isn’t terribly hard. I’m a fat body and I got through it fine :lol:

At 38, I can best a run with a 7:30 minute mile. I can run in the mountains consistently with little walking for 30 miles. I can walk forever. Ultra running. Bench is at 235. Pull-ups all day long. Because of back damage, I can only do alternatives to squats anymore. I hunt the mountains.

I'm pretty fit, especially for my age. If shtf, I am closing up my compound and building a city state where we rebuild a community with the livestock that I have, and the acre garden of crops that my wife tends to.

I'm not going anywhere. Community trumps solo survival. My home is also at the top of the hill. It's hard to beat as a place to hunker down if things went sideways.

Been working out for a little bit and trying to eat better to kick off some weight, but having an issue with an end goal. That’s to say: I have no idea where I’m going or what I’m going for besides “lose fat, get stronger.”

What’s your fitness goals as it relates to a shtf type scenario? What should I be aiming for?

Some generic examples:

1 mile run: ___:___
Carry ___ lbs for ___ distance
Deadlift ___ lbs ___ times
Fit’niss this food in my mouth is my plan.

Well I'm on the downhill side at this point. But to be the best I can be, mostly cardio. I've already achieved all this body was able to do

Scout deer, stalk deer, drag deer, repeat.
Best excercise on the planet other than sex.

Although the above helps it’s also nice to maintain just by being purely active with yard work , knocking out some push ups and sit ups any time you have some free time throughout the day while thinking.
Not many people have time to hit the gym so just knocking out some isometric excercise throughout the day whenever you can really helps to maintain
And you’d be surprised how much better your endurance will get the more you
Do this every day.
It’s awesome when you go to the doctor and all the nurses have to peek their head in the door to get a look at the trim 50 year old
Man with a resting heart rate of 45.

Back
Top Bottom