• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s your fitness standard?

I'd say the average healthy man should be able to move his own body weight, pushup, pullup, that kind of thing. My cardio sucks, I'll admit that. I need to work on it more but I hate running. Looking to get back in to something like mountain biking or just hiking. So right now that's my goal, get my cardio back up. Losing some belly fat would be nice too in the process. Speaking of, I should cut back on beer.

Not much sadly. I do try to walk more than I used to. I weigh about what I have for the last 20+ years but am not as fit as when younger. I figure if I don’t gain any more weight I will just try to maintain and stay active

Most military special ops entry fitness standards go something like this.

40-50 pushups in 2 mins
50+ sit-ups in 2 mins
10 or so pull ups
1.5 mile run in 10 or so minutes

This is a realistic capability for an average male under 40.

I was able to meet those minimums in 3 weeks of training when I was 24 yrs old.

It should be noted though that you realistically will need to be able to do 80+ pushups and sit-ups. 15-20 pull ups and 1.5 miles in 9 mins to really have a shot at making it through special ops training.

It took me a few months to be able to do these. I was still having trouble with the 9 minute 1.5 mile run.

Anyway, minimum standards are a good benchmark of fitness. If you can maintain those than you are way above average and in good fighting shape.

Right now I can BP my weight 6-7 times. Squat my weight 9-10 times and deadlift 150% of my weight 5-6 times. I am 220 lbs.

I just keep trying to get better. No clue how that relates to pushups and sit-ups and running. I know I can knock out an 8 minute mile East enough but have not pushed myself running in ages.

Curious. Not trying to hijack thread or be a tool.

What type of shtf scenarios do you have in mind that will require you to run for your life and only take what you can carry with you ? Do you live in a rural area ?
Let’s take shtf out of it. I’m a cop and it’s not unreasonable to think I might have to pick up a 200 lb buddy and move him 100 yards. And it isn’t crazy to think that could be a situation for anyone at any given time, especially in a bad situation where help ain’t comin

I'm 61 and my goal is lose weight, gain muscle strength, and not having a heart attack or stroke.
I’ll soon be 63 and your goal is reasonable to me. My biggest goal I met January when my SS started lol. Neither of my parents ever drew a dime so I said if I made it to 62 I was drawing:)

I’m a cop and it’s not unreasonable to think I might have to pick up a 200 lb buddy and move him 100 yards.

This is the test the Police Officers in Warner Robins have to do . Not sure if it is quarterly or yearly ? ( builds confidence so they don't shoot fleeing suspecting in the back )

Back
Top Bottom