• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Went to the honey hole today and caught these, what are they ?

Ok just got to the end of all the post and realized that someone had already mentioned it being a chain pickerel. I'm almost positive that the fish you have in the picture is one. Pretty little fish they are!

Jack fish, they eat good but are boney like shad, I think the proper name is chain pickeral or some thing like that. There is a smaller version called red fin pike that lives in the smallest of branches and creeks, the best bait for either is a red #2 rooster tail or a broke back rebel silver in color. Them's fishing secrets right their son!

haha...this thread has 3 lives. That is a pickerel for sure. We use daredevil spinner baits for em. Use to catch northerns and muskies on the St. Lawerence river in Canada as a kid....FUN family of fish!

Best eating fish that swims. I would rather eat "a correctly cooked" a jack than any other fish. Just gash'em like was said earlier and fry them done. The bones cook out and all you have is a main backbone. Sweet, white, firm meat.

I Used to catch these when I was stationed in Fort Drum NY. These fish live and fight for the same habitat the Bass are in. They are very territorial and will kill the bass. After I'm a western boy and have never seen anything like this at the time. I would fish the Indian river just outside of the base with a buddy of mine. I learned very quickly that we needed to use a steel leader when throwing in the water because their teeth are like razors and will cut your like with the quickness.

In NY these are called Northern pike http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fishopedia/species-explorer/details/overview/fish/northern-pike

These are some mean fish.

This is a pickerel

https://www.google.com/search?pq=jackfish&hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=5F5Z1K3UYKRSloZM_17ScA&cp=0&gs_id=3ta&xhr=t&q=chain+pickerel+fishing&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1138&bih=497&bs=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=tANOT7nLLsKutwfM4PykCA

This is a jackfish....
https://www.google.com/search?q=www.google.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np#pq=what+fish+is+related+to+the+garfish&hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=5F5Z1K3UYKRSloZM_17ScA&cp=8&gs_id=2ps&xhr=t&q=jackfish&pf=p&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=np&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=jackfish&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=46ce13c264e15e93&biw=1138&bih=497&bs=1

What is the difference between a Pickerel and a Pike? Pike are very boney as well. I looked up pickerel. They have a distinctive black strip that runs vertical form the top of the head to the bottom and its located on the side.

Last edited:
went to my favorite honey hole today caught some bass and a whole bunch of these , we have never caught any of these before. kinda look like some kind of pike or gar but the nose is too short for gar and pike is unusual around NE GA or atleast i thought, and yes they have teeth , and yes i had a hell of a grip on it , those mofo were stout
i51.tinypic.com_23kburp.jpg
i54.tinypic.com_2po1cax.jpg
i55.tinypic.com_e7xweg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom