• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pond construction and maintenance

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking at having a small pond built on our farm. We have had a pond builder mark it off and should be about one acre in size, with a 20/25 foot buffer around it. They would have to clear about 1.5 acres of woods, which drives the price up, but it really is the ideal location. Has anyone on here had a pond built, and what was your experience? Also, aside from stocking fish, how much maintenance is required? The guys we are talking to about building it have been doing it a long time, and we are confident with them. However, is there anything in particular that we should be asking?

shotgun 01 shotgun 01 I would ask for references and then I would speak with all 3 of those references, ideally a visit to see the pond built.

I would research the potential builder online and read everything I can.

A built pond can be an enjoyable piece of your heaven, or like a Jeep it can be a money pit.

You want to know the equipment they have that they own, any equipment they plan on leasing, and their time frame. You want to know how they plan to dig the pond, what they will do with the excavated land, and how they will keep the pond holding water.

You on your time will want to research on The Pond Boss Forum the ins and outs of building by a pond and what to ask potential builders, because Bob Lusk has everything you need to learn at his forum and in his magazine.

I have a 200 gallon water feature at the house and it is a maintenance nightmare considering it is just for decoration. I gave up the fish because I couldn't get the chemicals right. Anyway, I use the attached company to buy supplies to help clarify it and I am on their mailing list. It wouldn't hurt to see what you are getting into. Go luck and I hope it works for you.

1711409931053.png

I have a 200 gallon water feature at the house and it is a maintenance nightmare considering it is just for decoration. I gave up the fish because I couldn't get the chemicals right. Anyway, I use the attached company to buy supplies to help clarify it and I am on their mailing list. It wouldn't hurt to see what you are getting into. Go luck and I hope it works for you.

View attachment 7053584
Pics?

Hey Shotgun, I would recommend contacting a fisheries biologist, from either the GA D.N.R, or maybe UGA.

There is so much that goes into the equation. Pond size, cover underneath the surface, including current flow, how much forage is available, etc., etc.

It far surpasses what I know.

if you want to to have a a nice pond that produces a decent amount of catchable bass, they will help you towards that goal.

There is a lot that goes into that equation. Contact someone who knows this chit. It is not a simple as simply digging a hole and trying to stock it yourself.

It will pay off in the long run.

Cover, ratio to prey and predator. current flow, etc., etc. goes into the equation.

Get some help and advice before y9ou delve too far into this venture.

Haha. I am sure you are thinking waterfalls and large koi. It is a large hole in the ground on its 3rd liner and second uv filtration system. I reduced some of the pond plants as they had become root bound The nitrogen from the fish poop turned it solid green so i didnt replaced them when they passed. Every summer a contingency of small frogs return to their birth home to serenade us nightly and create about 1000 more frogs. The kids want me to fill it in and get a fire pit.😂

Attachments

• PXL_20240325_234414264.jpg
    PXL_20240325_234414264.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 20
The wife and I are looking at having a small pond built on our farm. We have had a pond builder mark it off and should be about one acre in size, with a 20/25 foot buffer around it. They would have to clear about 1.5 acres of woods, which drives the price up, but it really is the ideal location. Has anyone on here had a pond built, and what was your experience? Also, aside from stocking fish, how much maintenance is required? The guys we are talking to about building it have been doing it a long time, and we are confident with them. However, is there anything in particular that we should be asking?
To avoid getting penalized by your county or the State DNR-EPD for not obtaining proper stormwater and land disturbance permits (Ga. Erosion & Sedimentation Act, and Ga. Water Quality Control Act), if it's to be a legitimate farm pond, go through the USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service and get assistance from them.

For recreational purposes, you should contact your county/city or the local DNR-EPD District Office to inquire about a Stream Buffer Variance, land-disturbing permit, and a stormwater permit. https://epd.georgia.gov/about-us/epd-district-offices. If a stream or creek is passing through your property then that creek or stream is likely designated as a Water of the State and could also require that you obtain a Stream Buffer Variance before any land disturbance or construction activities. Failure to obtain proper permits before construction if required can be a costly endeavor. Just ask me how I know.

I looked into this some years ago. It is expensive to get it right. You get the fish population going, it'll be hard to keep it under control. You'll have to pay someone to take fish out occasionally. Greg Grimes would be a good source to get whatever you need

shotgun 01 shotgun 01 I would ask for references and then I would speak with all 3 of those references, ideally a visit to see the pond built.

I would research the potential builder online and read everything I can.

A built pond can be an enjoyable piece of your heaven, or like a Jeep it can be a money pit.

You want to know the equipment they have that they own, any equipment they plan on leasing, and their time frame. You want to know how they plan to dig the pond, what they will do with the excavated land, and how they will keep the pond holding water.

You on your time will want to research on The Pond Boss Forum the ins and outs of building by a pond and what to ask potential builders, because Bob Lusk has everything you need to learn at his forum and in his magazine.
Thanks for the info. I have known these people for 20 years. They are locals and don't advertise. They have done other work for us, just never a pond. We have seen ponds they have built though, and they are nice. And yes, they own all of the proper equipment to do the job.

We stumbled across the Pond Boss a few weeks ago, and it is a wealth of information. Oddly, we created an account, but never received an email, and have not been activated. We sent an email to find out what was going on, and still haven't heard.

Back
Top Bottom