• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weight Loss thread 2012

Heres my situation. I have severe (uncontroled) Asthma. I'm not obese, but I'm overweight. I try to stick to a low carb diet, but I get hungry at night (like when I'm posting on here). Don't eat cake, candy, icecream, or any junk food. Bread seems to be my biggest weakness. I walk, with wrist weights, 2 miles a day, every day. Current weight is 220, and would love to get to 185. The more I weigh, the harder it is to breath, the harder it is to exercise. Any ideas on how to control the late night munchies. I also don't sleep, so that makes it even harder.

When I was on Keto (low carb) I would snack on almonds, pork skins, natural peanut butter, meats, etc.. I never had late night munchies, but I would during the day. The almonds would really help me. Good Luck

When I say munchies, thats pretty much what I mean. Pork skins, fruit, nuts, a teaspoon of peanut butter. Never junk food. Inactivity is my biggest problem, particularly during heat like we have had lately.

Heres my situation. I have severe (uncontroled) Asthma. I'm not obese, but I'm overweight. I try to stick to a low carb diet, but I get hungry at night (like when I'm posting on here). Don't eat cake, candy, icecream, or any junk food. Bread seems to be my biggest weakness. I walk, with wrist weights, 2 miles a day, every day. Current weight is 220, and would love to get to 185. The more I weigh, the harder it is to breath, the harder it is to exercise. Any ideas on how to control the late night munchies. I also don't sleep, so that makes it even harder.
Try togo no-carb for 30 days. Cut out all grains, processed sugar, dairy, and legumes if you can. I lost close to 25 lbs in a month. Also eat all you want of the right foods. My meals were huge at the beginning, they have gotten a good bit smaller since. If dinner isn't enough eat another chicken breast or whatever meat you're having. It's almost impossible to really overeat lean protein. Anyone can eat 3 pizza slices, hardly anyone could eat 3 ckicken breasts even though they don't have near the calories. Pre-cook a back of bacon for snacks, cook extra breasts or chop when you make dinner for breakfast and lunch. It's the hardest diet you can imagine to start but IMO the easiest to stick with.

Disclaimer- Ketosis is pointless unless you have almost no muscle under your fat. Carbohydrates keep your muscles full of glycogen, which makes them full and firm. After a workout you are supposed to eat carbohydrates, not disregard them.

There is also something you all may want to know as well, it is better to do a slow cut (meaning drop fat) than a fast one. This is because your scale doesn't measure the amount of muscle, glycogen, and water that was lost along with fat. Please keep in mind the importance of this.

Another great low-carb snack is jerky. My wife has a dehydrator and so that helps keep the cost down. Otherwise you buy it in the store and it is not cheap. Stay away from the peanut butter, though. Too many carbs. Once you reach your goal weight you may be able to have it occasionally.

I lost over 30 pounds doing the low carb thing. We like it so much we adopted it as a lifestyle. Paleo is a little much for me but there's a lot of data out there supporting this kind of life style.

Start: 07/2012
Weight: 279.8
Height: 5'11"

Goal: 200

Progress: 264.0
Net loss : 15.8

How I'm Doing It:
Cut out all diet sodas
Cutback on bread (if I eat any it whole wheat, low cal)
Cut out all fast food (not counting Subway, Jersey MIKE'S, Jimmy John's)
Journal nutrition (using MyFitness Pal app)
Staying under 1800 cals
Diet = 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat daily
Eating 4 to 6 meals a day
Drinking at least 100oz of water
Taking a series of vitamin supplements daily
Incorporate some exercise/activity 3 x week

Lots of tuna salad made with low fat / no fat cottage cheese & no ft Greek yogurt
Same breakfast everyday: 1 cup of egg whites, 2 chicken sausage patties, 1 no fat Greek yogurt (total: 340 cals, 42g protein)
Basically ots of Grilled Fish & Chicken, Turkey, Tuna Fish, Quinoa, Greek Yogurt, Egg Whites, sweet potatoes & lean grilled steak as a reward.

I've been doing the Insanity workout for almost 2 months now and have started to incorporate my upper body workout back in it. Before starting the insanity I did upper body for years but very little cardio so decided to stop everything except the cardio for a few weeks to open my lungs back up.
I'm eating allot more fresh foods, eating allot less(smaller portions), despite the advice of eating several small meals and snacks thru out the day I just go without until it's time for breakfast lunch or dinner.
I will have often have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal between 9-11pm since I stay up late anyway.

I've only dropped about 10 lbs so far but I'm getting there.

Started June 7th. Weighed 240

September 7th weighed 197

Still eating 3 Healthy Choice/Weight Watchers/Smart Balance..etc meals a day and trying not to eat after 5PM. Sometimes I miss the clock and eat by 6-6:30. Finding more and more accetable foods that have < or close to 300 calories per meal and maintaining close to 20 grams of fat per day. There are LOTS of frozen entrees, room temperature, dried pasta/rice dishes and canned meals that all fill the bill nicely.

The wife and I went out for dinner for our anniversary in August and I set the diet aside and enjoed a nice meal. Then this past week when I went below 200 lbs for the first time in 25 years I had PIZZA! Sure I bounced a pound the next day but within 2 days I had completely recovered. My next goal is <190. Then I get to go out to celebrate again and my final goal will be <180. After that I will be working on maintaining indefinitely.

Keep the faith guys. If my fat arse can do it, anybody can!

I went the low carb route in February of this year. I used the New Atkins book for the first 2 months then I switched to the Primal which incorporates dark chocolate, and fruits.

Feb '12 - 285 lbs
Sept '12 - 234 Lbs

I have just learned to eat differently, no carbs from bread, pasta etc. All my carbs come from avocado, veggies, fruit, etc.

I still have 24 pounds left to my goal but I am no longer in a rush. If it takes a year, who cares?

Back
Top Bottom