• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unwanted Christmas gifts

My family and I have worked all of this out. On my in law side they do a white elephant folks wrap a $10 and its more about he game than the gift. On my side they only buy my kids a gift which is normally an experience. We are all adults. We are all comfortable and in need of nothing. WE dont need trinkets and doo dads that we dont want or need. We dont want a bunch of clutter and would rather everyone by themselves something they want or need than I buy you something you dont want I buy you something you dont want.

Apparently you bought them something they didnt need. I think its cool that they acknowledged the gift and let you know that they appreciated it but were going to pass on to someone who was in need. I think thats a win win
White elephant game is the way to go, especially for large families. Instead of buying 30 cheap gifts for 30 people we can buy something nice and may the odds be in everyone's favor.
It's fun, gets the whole family involved in a game, even if you end up with some gag gift or something you don't need, if you have a good family you will have had a ton of laughs by the end of the game so that's the real present.

My BIL sold his house a few years back and had alot of equity..his 3 children wanted 10k each because it was their childhood home... :laugh:
Well, did he give it to them?
Seems like he could have prorated it, like $1000/per year in the house/per kid.
Then explain to them why they wouldn’t be in his will.

Especially concerning loaned money.

Wife’s half-brother had an interesting take on Christmas and his birthday.
He’d go out, buy the stuff he wanted. Come back and lay it out on his bed with price tags still on.
His adult kids got to select the items they were ‘giving’ him, and pay him for them.
Wouldn’t put it past him to return all the stuff to the stores the next day and get his money back there, too.
That has to be about the worst thing I've read with regard to "gifts." It's worse than a couple getting married setting a minimum gift value amount in the invitation to the reception.

I would have asked the kids how much did they pay monthly on the Mortgage?
My parents and I live together because I have no reason wife or kids to try and make it on my own. They also help me with my military related issues TBI and stuff. I buy all the groceries and pay the utilities - Phone tv and internet which equates to around 2200 a month. The house is in my Dads name and he recently refinanced to put some equity in his pocket and pay off their cars and trucks. I didn't ask for a dime but my Dad payed off my 30k dollar Jetski just the same without asking. I love my family.

They're out looking at houses today as a matter of fact. They never seem satisfied with what they have (I see where I get it now). Always gotta be bigger and better. Maybe they are just wanting a house where they can stay further away from me. ;) You'd think 3300 Sq ft. would be big enough LOL.

Back
Top Bottom