• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under 21 Sub rifle laws

c.diaz318

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
If your under the age of 21 is it legal to own a sub rifle? I would like to buy a Kel Tec Sub 2000, but I know I can't buy handgun ammo. Can anyone shed some light on this gray area for me? Thanks
Chris

Why can't you buy handgun ammo?Also , Its just a rifle that uses handgun ammo and handgun magazines. Not a handgun. You can legally own a handgun in GA. If you 18 and not a felon, you just can't buy one from a dealer. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You might run into trouble buying hangun ammo for it, but most gunstores will sell it to you, but not places like walmart or Academy sports. I bought plenty of 45acp for my imaginary UMP before 21.

Legally you can buy handgun ammo if it is for a rifle. It's up to the discretion of the employee at the store.
It's not really true. The ATF defindes certain cartridges as handgun ammo regardless of what you intend to shoot out of it, but most gunstores don't know and don't care.

Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old?Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

I took this as if there was a rifle made for a handgun caliber, then it was interchangeable. At least that's what I told the lady at walmart when I made her sell me some .45

Ask them to put two boxes on the counter and then tell them that the first box is for your rifle in .45 and the second box is for your handgun in .45...see which one they sell you, lol.

Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old?Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

I took this as if there was a rifle made for a handgun caliber, then it was interchangeable. At least that's what I told the lady at walmart when I made her sell me some .45

Walmat used to refuse me and say it was store policy, I suppose its different per store.

Back
Top Bottom