• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trailer lights wiring question updated, dope slap coming

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Putting new lights on my utility trailer.

Brake/turn/running - the wiring is identical - red/black/white. Red is what and Black is what?

Appreciate help, I was out in the 40 deg., 20 mph wind today putting them on the trailer, Would prefer to have to not figure it out.

I had the same problem not long ago, i finally found out the lights were from Canada, they use red white n black up there, , I remember white was ground , cant recall witch the red n black were

I usually run a hot jumper wire to solve those problems. You will chase your tail otherwise.

Just use a spare battery or run a hot wire from your car battery and check what each wire does before you hook it up..

Thanks, but those diagrams don't address my question. I know how my trailer is wired.

I have two identical LED lights with a red and black lead. white is the ground. I need to know how which function the light with the red lead performs, and which function the light with the black lead performs.
Ground the lights at the installation site.
Thanks, but those diagrams don't address my question. I know how my trailer is wired.

I have two identical LED lights with a red and black lead. white is the ground. I need to know how which function the light with the red lead performs, and which function the light with the black lead performs.
Use a 12 volt battery and test for function

Ground the lights at the installation site.

Use a 12 volt battery and test for function

o.k. I did that. The black wire goes to a red light. The red light goes to a red light. They both work perfectly.

I need to know which one is brake/running and which one is turn signal.

on a old time light bulb I could tell from the filament, but no can do with LED. I can hook them up to the truck and test for function, but the goal here is to avoid standing around in freezing weather, connecting and unconnecting wires.

You should be able to tell which one is brighter , pretty easy.
Make em temporary connections for now and you might need to swap it later when you can determine which is the running light and which is the brake light

Back
Top Bottom