• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about buying a pallet of 12/2 Romex

User170512

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Occasionally Banned, but OK
49   0
Reaction score
Looking where the future is headed with metals like copper and some of the Rare Earth metals, strongly considuring a base investment in what will soon be an even more precious metal.

This is a long video, but tells an important story. With the push towards renewable energy, we're about to astronomically accelerate some metal prices.

Unless another housing rush or boom in manufacturing via a WWIII situation, copper and more specifically manufactured copper in form of Romex won’t hit what it did a year and a half ago for quite some time. Also if you sit on pallets of building cable it will be harder to offload the older it gets do to date codes that inspectors will look for on new construction. Now if you can offload it to a handyman or remodeling out via cash or barter you may have opportunity to make out on it..!?

Date codes...interesting. Not expecting a WWIII scenario, all the boom in "green" energy us going to ramp up copper needs more than anything in human history.

Date codes...interesting. Not expecting a WWIII scenario, all the boom in "green" energy us going to ramp up copper needs more than anything in human history.
Long term, If you want to purchase and hold for scrap value or resale to contractors… Purchas bare solid #8 or bare stranded #4 these are the most prolific products in the category. Pool guys and sparkies use the heck out of it no date codes and you don’t have to strip it before you scrap it.

It really depends on your investment horizon.

If you're talking about buying some physical assets as an inflation hedge for the next 10 years, Dan Muk Dan Muk 's idea makes sense. If you're talking further out, assuming the value of those assets grows great enough, you have to factor in the cost of protecting it, and there's a small risk that demand for it declines so that there's far less of an active market.

Investing in assets like that carry risks that aren't always obvious. The question you have to ask yourself is "if this is such a great idea, why isn't Goldman Sachs doing it, but 10,000,000 times bigger?" The answer *might* be that you're a genius, and all of their investment team are idiots.

But I wouldn't bet on that.

I think my horizon is around 10 years on this, relatively short term. I like the idea of buying something that is use-saleable instead of scrap. Something there is a guaranteed market for. Not planning on a distopian societal collapse scenario or using copper bars to trade for food. Just looking for a good investment. I guess there are copper futures or the like?

Plus, except for aluminum in service entrance cables, there has yet to be a replacement for copper. Well, except for silver and that's not feasible unless things get really weird.

Back
Top Bottom