• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How we think about money

I did the same thing but my goal was 45. I have worked the night shift and weekends for the extra pay and have pretty much brown bagged my lunch for most of it. I worked overtime when available. I max out my 401k with every paycheck. I'm 51 now and am debt free.

I always looked at things as WANTS and NEEDS. Stay the course and you will succeed
Your 401k is considered by the feds as "low hanging fruit" just waiting to be put into the safety of 0% treasuries or CBDC's

The gist of the book is that the millionaire is frugal. They’re more likely drive an older Honda Accord than a Mercedes. Don‘s waste your money on stupid ****.
I've got an uncle who is a millionaire many times over, he was so frugal that even with those millions, he still had my aunt hanging clothes on a line in the back yard. Wouldnt buy a dryer. He just bought his first new car ever, a toyota tocoma in his mid '80s. I guess he thinks he should splurge a little now. His kids and grandkids all will be millionaires when he dies. You'd never know it by seeing how he lives.

You right. There is no such thing as zero percent interest. Especially in an economy with run away inflation.

Save and pay cash for stuff, AFTER you pay yourself (save) about 20 - 30% of after tax income.

While I agree in most cases, a 2k fridge is a 2k fridge whether you pay with cash or use the 0% option for 12 months at lowes. I'd rather have that 2k doing something else than giving it to lowes all at once when they arent charging me interest.

A lot of folks leave money on the table when buying new cars with cash, miss out on all the incentives. Before things got crazy the past few years, you could actually save 2-3 grand on a new car by doing their financing to getting the incentives, then just pay it off when the first note comes in. Just gotta do the math. But I guess saving a couple grand isnt as cool as telling our buddies "hey, I paid cash for it". Not to mention, who wants to fork out 50k all at once for a depreciating assest like most vehicles are. Just have good credit and get a low interest rate at .9 or 1.9. pay off when you can if it bothers you.

While I agree in most cases, a 2k fridge is a 2k fridge whether you pay with cash or use the 0% option for 12 months at lowes. I'd rather have that 2k doing something else than giving it to lowes all at once when they arent charging me interest.

A lot of folks leave money on the table when buying new cars with cash, miss out on all the incentives. Before things got crazy the past few years, you could actually save 2-3 grand on a new car by doing their financing to getting the incentives, then just pay it off when the first note comes in. Just gotta do the math. But I guess saving a couple grand isnt as cool as telling our buddies "hey, I paid cash for it". Not to mention, who wants to fork out 50k all at once for a depreciating assest like most vehicles are. Just have good credit and get a low interest rate at .9 or 1.9. pay off when you can if it bothers you.
If you believe that GM is "loaning" you $50,000 at no interest, without baking that cost into the price/fees, so you can buy a vehicle, you should write to and send your X-mas list to: Santa Claus, c/o North Pole, Magic Land, USA.

Nobody is loaning money in this or any other economy, at zero percent interest. It violates every law of commerce.

Reactions: GFB
If you believe that GM is "loaning" you $50,000 at no interest, without baking that cost into the price/fees, so you can buy a vehicle, you should write to and send your X-mas list to: Santa Claus, c/o North Pole, Magic Land, USA.

Nobody is loaning money in this or any other economy, at zero percent interest. It violates every law of commerce.

I never said GM is loaning anyone 0% interest, please reread my post instead of just wanting to argue. It's like you didn't even read it, I even mention "before things got crazy". I know no one is doing that now on new cars. I am seeing 1.9% available again though. Buying something for 2k cash and financing something for 2k with 0% same as cash is the same amount of money out of your pocket in the end....unless you dont pay it off by the end date of course.

Palmetto, I thought you were smarter than this.

I never said GM is loaning anyone 0% interest, please reread my post instead of just wanting to argue. It's like you didn't even read it, I even mention "before things got crazy". I know no one is doing that now. I am seeing 1.9% available again though. Buying something for 2k cash and financing something for 2k with 0% same as cash is the same amount of money out of your pocket in the end....unless you dont pay it off by the end date of course.

Palmetto, I thought you were smarter than this.
I'm smart enough to not loan money at zero percent interest and I don't expect any company or bank is going to be so altruistic either. You may think you've secured a 0% int loan but you are absolutely paying for the 'cost' of that money somewhere in your agreement, I guarantee you.

The GM @ 0% is an example.

Once again, I never said GM is doing that in any of posts. I don't know why you are hung up on that.

Lowes/HD/Wells Fargo, and others do it every day. They hope you dont pay it off to charge you all that back interest...and I imagine half the people that did it with good intentions in the beginning dont.

the 0%, or 1.9% or, what ever it is, is an incentive to purchase the car/truck....like a discount, without saying as much....the deal is could/can you get them to discount the truck/car by paying cash....typically I'd say not, as there are two different entities here....GMAC(or what ever it's called today) and the dealer....so, the dealer has no incentive to reduce the price, due to a cash payment, so....take the low interest rate, pay it out like terms say, enjoy... I believe there is 0.9% on GMC Sierra 1/2 ton trucks today....36 months....that's a pretty big nut...BUT...if you were going to pay cash anyway....should not be a big deal...so if you buy the new truck....are you showing off???

Back
Top Bottom