• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The wife needs a deer rifle

rswink

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
So, empty nesting and my wife decides she is going to learn to hunt. She has a Marlin 60 and a 783 and loves both and has listened and followed directions well out to 100 yards, we are going to try a different range soon for further and varied distances. All is great on that front. She has also gotten better at the Remington 870 Magnum Express 20 Gauge. But, all 3 are smaller rifles, compact, youth models. I find them all too short.

She has tried my Lever 30-30, 6.5CM Bolt, Pump 12 Gauge, as well as Breech loading 410 and 20 Gauge, the 30-30 and 12 Guage she doesn't like. She likes the 6.5 though, and it is a full length rifle that my 6'2" frame enjoys.

This fall we have a new place to hunt, distances will range from 35 yards to 384 yards. Now, I personally try and stay under 300, but I have taken game further. Her, time will tell how confident she feels. So, deer rifles…..

Oh, and the important part, she has set her budget around $500 for everything. Originally she wanted $250 and I had her go to Bass Pro with me (higher prices to lessen the final sticker shock) and she doubled it.

What would you recommend? She like "older looking" wood and blued metal. But she also has a turquoise and stainless 9mm that she calls pretty. So, what caliber and package?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've been starting to look for a CZ527 in 7.62x39 to try an get the wife into it, have seen them I thought reasonably priced with glass, used, going for around $500.

There’s a Savage Lady Hunter in 7-08 for sale on here. The rifle alone would take up your budget. Might be worth a look though.

I have a Ruger I think M77 purchased 35 years ago, really nice, hunted with it one time, dropped a buck 1 shot at about 50 yrds, tis rifle is perfect. not sure you are looking to purchase or just collecting suggestions, either way, that is what I would recommend. David

I favor the .243 as a lady's deer rifle, Especially if it will be a ordinary weight rifle weighing 6 or 7 pounds. If it were a heavy weight gun intended to be carried little and rested across a railing or a bipod during shooting, then maybe a 30 caliber would be OK. Lower recoil makes for far better accuracy and a more enjoyable experience practicing atvthe range, weeks before opening day.

I have a Savage model 10 in .243 that I love. It is the full sized adult version. If you found one like it in a YOUTH model with about A 12.5" to 13" reach from the butt pad to the trigger, that would be ideal.

P.S. The only way my rifle is not ideal for deer hunting, is that it has a 1:10 twist which means it achieves best accuracy with bullets 95 grains or less. (Although I do use 100 grain loads, and they do pretty good, even out to 600 yds.)
If it had a 1-turn-in-8" twist, I would be happier because then I could use heavier bullets and still have pinpoint accuracy.

If the budget’s tight, what about a Henry Single Shot Rifle in 243? I have not played with one yet but they seem pretty nifty. Affordable too.

Back
Top Bottom