• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thanksgiving smoked turkey recipes?

Rub down with a mix of lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, and olive oil. Use that on the outside and in between skin. Then i inject with cajun butter. Smoke at 325 with favorite wood till internal temp of 165. I did this one today
20151115_154649.jpg
20151115_154700.jpg
20151115_154700.jpg
20151115_154700.jpg

I did one last year that was fantastic. I used the spatchcock method (butterflying the bird). I made a butter and garlic injection then rubbed it with Plowboys Yardbird rub (picked up at Academy). Always cook skin-on poultry above 275 degrees (I start out at 195 for the first hour to get maximum smke penetration then bump to 300) to make sure the skin isn't rubbery. Cook to 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast. Cooking time is greatly reduced by using the spatchcock method and the breast and thighs are done at the same time and both remain juicy. Cooking a 18 lb Butterball using this method in the morning. Have a cigarette ready when you're done.

Last edited:
I did one last year that was fantastic. I used the spatchcock method (butterflying the bird). I made a butter and garlic injection then rubbed it with Plowboys Yardbird rub (picked up at Academy). Always cook skin-on poultry above 275 degrees (I start out at 195 for the first hour to get maximum smke penetration then bump to 300) to make sure the skin isn't rubbery. Cook to 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast. Cooking time is greatly reduced by using the spatchcock method and the breast and thighs are done at the same time and both remain juicy. Cooking a 18 lb Butterball using this method in the morning. Have a cigarette ready when you're done.
I'll try that on my next one. Thanks

I just put mine on the BGEgg at 6am, put a heavy coat of Butt Rub all over it and let it set at 200 degrees for about 5 hours. It will fall apart when I try to take it off the egg, always does.

Back
Top Bottom