• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thanksgiving smoked turkey recipes?

Bullfrog81

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to smoke a turkey for our family feast. Anyone have agood recipe with temps and time? I would hate to ruin a good turkey I could fry. Thanks ahead of time.

As Hamburgler has mentioned, a brine works well, especially on a fresh turkey. However, a Butterball or similar is pre-brined and doesn't benefit much.

I cook them similar to doing them in the oven. Season all over and under the skin and stuff the cavity with celery, garlic & onions. Cook over indirect heat at 250°. Cook until internal temp is 165°. Generally takes 3-4 hours, depending on weight.

I'm thinking about trying to smoke a turkey for our family feast. Anyone have agood recipe with temps and time? I would hate to ruin a good turkey I could fry. Thanks ahead of time.
I cook turkeys on the grill all of the time, just rub olive oil salt and pepper or cajum on it and cook indirect on the grill I use charcoal and put one bucket in the grill and never open the lid, if using gas set on low and off burners and it will do great, use thermoneter check temp

As Hamburgler has mentioned, a brine works well, especially on a fresh turkey. However, a Butterball or similar is pre-brined and doesn't benefit much.

We use on butterballs, use more spices than just the salt and standards. Last year i boiled in a can of cranberry sauce - gave a hint in the meat.

image.jpg
Big ugly drum on charcoal.

Last year I ran my hand under the skin to break it loose then laid strips of bacon under the skin until turkey was covered with bacon. Then I smoked it on the big green egg with hickory chips and lump charcoal at 225 degrees until internal temp in thickest part of breast was 165. I'm not overly fond of turkey but that one was great and the best I ever had.

Back
Top Bottom