• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tell me about Mosins

I've used a chamber insert with one for years to deal with predators when I still lived in the country. A .32 S&W coming out of a factory Mosin barrel is quiet. Hardly any recoil either.

I blame Mosin's for most of my addictions to milsurps. My first was a M44 that I paid $45 for and cleaned on for about a week. The 44's were designed to shoot with the bayonet extended and they will shoot better with it extended. The 91's or 91/30 are my love, the history of that rifle is mind boggling to me. My oldest is a 1899, I have two New England Westinghouse and to read the history of those guns is a story to itself. The Finns always seem to shoot better as a whole but I have a couple of Russians that will shoot a dang sight better than I will out to about 200 yards. Ammo is cheap (really cheap about 6-7 years ago when I bought most of mine). If you want to have a lot of fun take your M44 or M38 out at dusk dark and shoot it. It will look like a flame thrower. They are ugly, heavy, stiff bolt but I am sure they will be here to fight with during WWIII.

It's the one mil-surp rifle that doesn't bother me when people chop them up and sporterize them as long as they are done properly and without plastic. Certainly no shortage of battle ready examples laying around. Here's my only mosin. Pictures are outdated. I've changed the bolt. It's still bent but no longer swept back.

I know that rifle, if you ever get tired of it just call me. Good pics

I know that rifle, if you ever get tired of it just call me. Good pics
Missing it? :) It's one of my go to rifles for when my astigmatism and scopes start giving me headaches. Scoped rifles are great for a shot or two when placement is everything. Otherwise, I get more satisfaction from iron sighting it with old mil surp. I'll make a note and give you first dibs if I ever "get tired" of it :)

Now, I'm really dating myself, but there use to be a Army/Navy store on Peachtree St in the 50's that was selling 91/30's for $5 each. I bought two and rode the Trolley back home carrying them (1958) They also had a few SVT 38/40's for under $20. Between selling and trading, all I have left now in Mosins are 2 mint 91/30's 2 91/30PU's 2 M44's and 1 M59 with East German Markings. They are a lot of fun to shoot even with rising ammo cost. I bought several cases years ago when 880 rd cases were $19.95 and 5 cases haven't even been opened yet. But you can still wake the neighbors up when you fire one:becky:

Back
Top Bottom