• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tell me about Mosins

DogLegArms

Default rank <2000 posts
Silencer Dealer
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
82   0
Reaction score
I'm trying to expand my knowledge outside of modern firearms. I've transferred a lot of Mosins and whenever one comes I think, "Oh great, time to get the paper towels out."

So why the love for Mosins? They're cheap, ammo is cheap, they're heavy and loud. Am I missing anything else? How's the accuracy? Anyone shoot it surpressed? Are they fun to shoot?

It all depends on how in depth you want to get in your collection. They aren't always pretty but they are fairly accurate, have a lot of history and definitely dependable. There are so many to choose from between run of the mill 91/30's, PU's, M44's, 91/59's, M38's, DDR 91/30's and of course the pre-soviet, Finns and US made variants.....Some can be quiet collectible.

This is always a good point of reference.
http://7.62x54r.net

Last edited:
I'm trying to expand my knowledge outside of modern firearms. I've transferred a lot of Mosins and whenever one comes I think, "Oh great, time to get the paper towels out."

So why the love for Mosins? They're cheap, ammo is cheap, they're heavy and loud. Am I missing anything else? How's the accuracy? Anyone shoot it surpressed? Are they fun to shoot?

Pretty accurate for what they are, I've seen vids of a guy hitting steel at 1000 yards with one, and one of the guys here (either romilayu laxguy or nwsharpshooter) has a vid of one they suppressed kicking around. Can't recall exactly which because between the three of em I think they've probably shortened or suppressed just about everything.

It all depends on how in depth you want to get in your collection. They aren't always pretty but they are fairly accurate, have a lot of history and definitely dependable. There are so many to choose from between run of the mill 91/30's, PU's, M44's, 91/59's, M38's, DDR 91/30's and of course the pre-soviet, Finns and US made variants.....Some can be quiet collectible.

This is always a good point of reference.
http://7.62x54r.net

Wow that site has tons of info. Thanks for the link.

Pretty accurate for what they are, I've seen vids of a guy hitting steel at 1000 yards with one, and one of the guys here (either romilayu laxguy or nwsharpshooter) has a vid of one they suppressed kicking around. Can't recall exactly which because between the three of em I think they've probably shortened or suppressed just about everything.

Yeah I get those 3 guys mixed up all the time. They're like triplets or something.

I bet Dobbs Defense had something to do with it.

Wow that site has tons of info. Thanks for the link.

Yeah I get those 3 guys mixed up all the time. They're like triplets or something.

I bet Dobbs Defense had something to do with it.

Here it is. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/699463-Metering-the-Mosin?highlight=Mosin+meter

ive had one sitting in the safe for years now. Paid 50 bucks for it at a gun show and thought to myself they should have paid me for taking it off their hands with all the cosmosnot it had on and in it. Otherwise I don't mess with it. Can't pass up a 50 dollar gun though, if probably buy a high point if it was 50 bucks. Maybe...

Here it is. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/699463-Metering-the-Mosin?highlight=Mosin+meter

ive had one sitting in the safe for years now. Paid 50 bucks for it at a gun show and thought to myself they should have paid me for taking it off their hands with all the cosmosnot it had on and in it. Otherwise I don't mess with it. Can't pass up a 50 dollar gun though, if probably buy a high point if it was 50 bucks. Maybe...

Cool. Lax is a suppressor nut.

Yeah 50 bucks, I'd buy it too just because it was 50 bucks lol.

I like what Flammenwerfer said. I love the combloc history also....like making a connection thru that. Built like a tank. Removing cosmoline is a fun project for me. And the fireball from the carbine barrel is, well, beautiful

Back
Top Bottom