• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tell me about Mosins

I went to the range today and I believe the guy sitting a few spots over was shooting Mosin. IT WAS LOUD AS HELL. I had to double up on ear protection.

I was hoping there was something else about Mosins other than it and the ammo being cheap.

First time I shot one it was an old Russian make and put three rounds touching each other at 25 yards, all the range had..The guy that had it was Russian..apparently they shoot better with the bayonet on..I don't know much about them but I've wanted one ever since..

The Ruskies made the Mosins up until 1947 if memory serves. They were designed and refined to operate in the extremes of the Russian climate. The German snipers would seek out the PU Sniper variants and swap out the K98's in favor of the Mosin Sniper Rifles. The round is right there with the .30-06 and 8mm Mauser in terms of oomph.
The Finnish Mosins are excellent albeit very heavy rifles.

The dang things just work. It's a simple design that is also very, very robust.

I can't speak for the 91-30's but the Model 44's shoot completely different with the bayonet extended. At 100 yards I had a 5" group with mil slurp ammo with the bayonet collapsed, with the bayonet extended I had a vertical string about 8" long but dead center left to right.

It's the one mil-surp rifle that doesn't bother me when people chop them up and sporterize them as long as they are done properly and without plastic. Certainly no shortage of battle ready examples laying around. Here's my only mosin. Pictures are outdated. I've changed the bolt. It's still bent but no longer swept back.

Back
Top Bottom