• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Teach me about Cigars guys

One of my favorite smokes when I first got into cigars was Rocky Patel Connecticut, mild but still has great flavor.

I'd also recommend trying different beverages while you smoke to see what you like to pair your cigars with. Single malt scotch is generally my go to, but occasionally I will have one with coffee, a nice port wine, darker beers like ports and stouts usually pair well. Experiment and you will figure it out. Have fun!

Love a good cigar. Just like wine you get what you pay for. After saying that I've smoked a good $6 cigar and drank a good $6 bottle of wine (NOT on the wine). Just go to your nearest cigar store, tell em you what you think you'd like, buy one, smoke it there with other patrons and ask questions. You'll be surprised how much you'll learn and like. Hope that helps.

Here are some quick things that I discovered. Use a butane lighter or wooden matches. A lighter fluid lighter will transfer the fluid taste. Save the bands of the ones you like and ask the guy at the cigar store what makes them similar. Typically, the lighter the wrapper the milder the taste. Buy a 50 count humidor for about $25, no need to over spend now. Buy a boveda humidity pack to season your humidor and then a 69% humidity pack. This will keep your cigars fresh without worrying. For the most part a larger cigar is for longer smokes. Just because it is large, say Churchill, doesn't make it better just because it's bigger. Oliva is a solid brand that has a sample pack giving you different options. Most importantly, don't inhale. The taste is to enjoyed in the mouth not the lungs.

Great advice right there. I agree with the entire statement. I can add a little more from my experience.
Don't be afraid to try something new. I learned early that I preferred a "stronger" cigar. I didn't care at all for the mild ones. Like light beer, nothing wrong with it, but i'm a Guinness man. I like to TASTE my beer and my cigar. Rocky Patel edge is my stick of choice.
Don't light up unless you can dedicate the time required to finish the smoke. Its an investment in time. You don't want to feel rushed or not be able to finish the cigar... it AIN'T gonna be good later. Some people say you can clip one and relight it.... from experience, it's not going to be pretty.
Remember that opinions on the best or worst cigars are just that... opinions. Don't be afraid to develop your own. Just because Cigar Aficionado says its a "93" doesn't mean YOU will like it. Likewise, an "83" doesn't mean you won't.
I still enjoy a cigar occasionally, but I've changed gears a little and gotten into pipe smoking. It's a bit trickier, but once you have a couple of good pipes, smoking them is ALOT less expensive than cigars.
Enjoy your new hobby!

I agree with the above post. I found that I really enjoy a good Maduro nice dark wrapper smooth yet bold. paired with a good Burbon or single malt scotch, how could you go wrong? I too have developed a fondness for good pipe tobacco. I have my Grandfathers hand carved pipe and it smokes very well. Most of all relax and enjoy the moment, don't rush it, this is your time, enjoy it. Life is too short.

Check out JR Cigars on the web. They are the largest distributor of cigars in the US, and have great private labels of the major brands at a substantial savings.

this. i am a novice at cigars. been smoking a long time, but never had the money to get the high dollar stuff. but they got real good stuff for reasonable prices

Back
Top Bottom