• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@tazz and I are discussing Brunswick Stew...

I'll second that! Lol!

ROAD TRIP!!!

That's another thing my grandparents had I should've held on to. They had 3 or 4 of those pots, prolly closer to 30 gal pots though. They used to have big parties down at Clearwater Lake at their cabin, invite all their brothers & sisters and their families and cook out all kinds of stuff. If only I knew then what I know now, right?

I have no idea whatever happened to all the cast iron skillets and wash pots that had to have been on the family farm. I do have a skillet that my great grandmother gave to my grandmother to start house w/, but no wash pots. I know daddy said someone broke into the dairy barn and stole everything (back before my time), but I don't know that to be the case to the mystery of no family cast iron cookery?

I have no idea whatever happened to all the cast iron skillets and wash pots that had to have been on the family farm. I do have a skillet that my great grandmother gave to my grandmother to start house w/, but no wash pots. I know daddy said someone broke into the dairy barn and stole everything (back before my time), but I don't know that to be the case to the mystery of no family cast iron cookery?
My uncle gave away a whole bunch of stuff after my grandmother died, he didn't ask if me OR my Dad wanted any of it before he did it. Really pissed my Dad off too but in all fairness my uncle was born with intellectual disabilities and didn't realize that a lot of that stuff should be passed down through the family. Thankfully my grandparents had already given us a few things before they ever died, my wife got my grandmothers iron skillets and China and a few other things, Pop gave me his shotgun, .22 rifle and and old maple hutch that I had always liked. I got most of the family photos from my Dad, some dating back to the 1800's.

My uncle gave away a whole bunch of stuff after my grandmother died, he didn't ask if me OR my Dad wanted any of it before he did it. Really pissed my Dad off too but in all fairness my uncle was born with intellectual disabilities and didn't realize that a lot of that stuff should be passed down through the family. Thankfully my grandparents had already given us a few things before they ever died, my wife got my grandmothers iron skillets and China and a few other things, Pop gave me his shotgun, .22 rifle and and old maple hutch that I had always liked. I got most of the family photos from my Dad, some dating back to the 1800's.

My mother's parents didn't have anything to pass on, although that is the grandmother that I got the skillet from. And, you knew my dad's mother. The only thing I asked for from her were all her badges that she got over the years. I still don't have them...

What I would give my left arm for is a milk bottle marked w/ the family dairy logo. I don't even know if they had marked bottles, but there are no bottle anywhere around this place that I can find. Don't know what happened to them all. I need to have a talk w/ daddy and see what he can remember about the dairy business. Could be that they didn't bottle at all and just milked and had shipped to a processor? But, it was a dairy from the late 1800s-late 1960s, as far as I know. I am sure that at some point and time they did their own bottling?

My mother's parents didn't have anything to pass on, although that is the grandmother that I got the skillet from. And, you knew my dad's mother. The only thing I asked for from her were all her badges that she got over the years. I still don't have them...

What I would give my left arm for is a milk bottle marked w/ the family dairy logo. I don't even know if they had marked bottles, but there are no bottle anywhere around this place that I can find. Don't know what happened to them all. I need to have a talk w/ daddy and see what he can remember about the dairy business. Could be that they didn't bottle at all and just milked and had shipped to a processor? But, it was a dairy from the late 1800s-late 1960s, as far as I know. I am sure that at some point and time they did their own bottling?
I have my Dad's old badges. Maybe they were supplying the old Coweta Dairies, that was where my grandparents got their milk delivered from and that was some of the best milk I ever tasted. My other grandparents lived in Atl. and got their milk delivered from the old Mathis Dairy. Ahh, the good old days when the milkman actually delivered your milk right to your door. I wish I had some of those old bottles myself.

I have my Dad's old badges. Maybe they were supplying the old Coweta Dairies, that was where my grandparents got their milk delivered from and that was some of the best milk I ever tasted. My other grandparents lived in Atl. and got their milk delivered from the old Mathis Dairy. Ahh, the good old days when the milkman actually delivered your milk right to your door. I wish I had some of those old bottles myself.

I do have a few old milk bottles, but none from the family dairy or any from Coweta County at all. I always look whenever I see a milk bottle, but haven't found any yet.

Funny story, the milk man was my uncle. My great grandmother (dad's side) thought my mother was having an affair w/ the milk man because he was staying too long and eating breakfast. She had stopped making him tea cakes because of this. Finally my mother asked her why and was told that it wasn't right for a married woman to be allowing a man into her home when her husband wasn't home. Mama had to explain that the milk man was her brother. The next morning my uncle had tea cakes waiting on him.

A friend gave me a recipe about 15-20 years ago and it makes a smoother stew using chicken and pork. I short-cut the recipe to save prep time by using rotisserie chicken from Sam's and some smoked beef briskets they sell. The recipe can make several gallons as I still have several containers in the freezer from last year. Here's my friend's recipe- he's from McRae, GA.

Tom’s Brunswick Stew

1- Boston butt or 1 beef brisket (smoked)
1- whole chicken
2- large cans chopped tomatoes
3- or 4- cans small English peas (prefer LeSeur)
3- or 4- cans cream corn (I also add some whole kernel corn)
several large yellow onions (diced)
several potatoes (diced)
Mrs. Griffin’s BBQ sauce or other mustard based sauce
Louisiana hot sauce (I like Trappey’s Bull Sauce best)
Salt
Pepper

Cook chicken and beef/pork. I usually smoke the beef/pork, but I boil the chicken. Dice the meat after cooking and add to a large pot with the tomatoes, about ¾ of the bottle of BBQ sauce, about ½ of the bottle of the hot sauce, onions, potatoes, and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer on low for about 1-1 ½ hours stirring occasionally. Add the peas and corn and simmer for ½ - 1 hour more.

You can add more or less of the vegetables, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, etc. to your liking.

A friend gave me a recipe about 15-20 years ago and it makes a smoother stew using chicken and pork. I short-cut the recipe to save prep time by using rotisserie chicken from Sam's and some smoked beef briskets they sell. The recipe can make several gallons as I still have several containers in the freezer from last year. Here's my friend's recipe- he's from McRae, GA.

Tom’s Brunswick Stew

1- Boston butt or 1 beef brisket (smoked)
1- whole chicken
2- large cans chopped tomatoes
3- or 4- cans small English peas (prefer LeSeur)
3- or 4- cans cream corn (I also add some whole kernel corn)
several large yellow onions (diced)
several potatoes (diced)
Mrs. Griffin’s BBQ sauce or other mustard based sauce
Louisiana hot sauce (I like Trappey’s Bull Sauce best)
Salt
Pepper

Cook chicken and beef/pork. I usually smoke the beef/pork, but I boil the chicken. Dice the meat after cooking and add to a large pot with the tomatoes, about ¾ of the bottle of BBQ sauce, about ½ of the bottle of the hot sauce, onions, potatoes, and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer on low for about 1-1 ½ hours stirring occasionally. Add the peas and corn and simmer for ½ - 1 hour more.

You can add more or less of the vegetables, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, etc. to your liking.

If you have trouble finding Mrs. Griffith's BBQ sauce, let me know. My dad distributes it in Middle Georgia and I can get some mailed to you.

Back
Top Bottom