• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@tazz and I are discussing Brunswick Stew...

My mother's parents didn't have anything to pass on, although that is the grandmother that I got the skillet from. And, you knew my dad's mother. The only thing I asked for from her were all her badges that she got over the years. I still don't have them...

What I would give my left arm for is a milk bottle marked w/ the family dairy logo. I don't even know if they had marked bottles, but there are no bottle anywhere around this place that I can find. Don't know what happened to them all. I need to have a talk w/ daddy and see what he can remember about the dairy business. Could be that they didn't bottle at all and just milked and had shipped to a processor? But, it was a dairy from the late 1800s-late 1960s, as far as I know. I am sure that at some point and time they did their own bottling?
We had a small dairy outside of Tennille. Unless you ran a large concern it wasn't economical to bottle mklk. We sold ours to processors.

We had a small dairy outside of Tennille. Unless you ran a large concern it wasn't economical to bottle mklk. We sold ours to processors.

And, I am pretty sure that is what my line of great grandfathers did as well. But, I wonder when dairies started sending their milk to a processor? I will have to talk to daddy, but I think they started the dairy back in the 1800s. I wouldn't think that long ago they sent milk to a processor? But, then again, we are about 6 miles from town and doubt there was enough families/people in our little community to make a dairy profitable. At this point, it is all speculation on my part. I will get to the fact Monday when I will go talk to daddy.

I never really liked PoMo's...BUT they had the absolute hands-down best sweet cornbread I've ever had in my life.
I always liked their fried corn - I believe it was cream corn dipped in cornbread batter and fried as a nugget.

Back to the topic. My wife, although she's lived in Georgia all her life, won't eat Brunswick Stew. I believe it's because her father once told her 'how it's made': something to do with hog skulls, brains, and other unused parts.

And, I am pretty sure that is what my line of great grandfathers did as well. But, I wonder when dairies started sending their milk to a processor? I will have to talk to daddy, but I think they started the dairy back in the 1800s. I wouldn't think that long ago they sent milk to a processor? But, then again, we are about 6 miles from town and doubt there was enough families/people in our little community to make a dairy profitable. At this point, it is all speculation on my part. I will get to the fact Monday when I will go talk to daddy.

Well, I'm talking about in the late 1940's - early 1950's. A tanker would come by and pick up the raw milk to take to the 'dairy' that homogenized the milk, bottled it and distributed it.

I always liked their fried corn - I believe it was cream corn dipped in cornbread batter and fried as a nugget.

Back to the topic. My wife, although she's lived in Georgia all her life, won't eat Brunswick Stew. I believe it's because her father once told her 'how it's made': something to do with hog skulls, brains, and other unused parts.

Yep, the boss uses several whole hog heads in his. I don't think about the brains and other nasty bits that are sure to be floating around in my bowl of stew.

The stuff I make is no where near the hog's head stew that was part of the original recipe. The meats used on the recipe I use are all muscle cuts. Now, I had grandparents that ate exotic food- by-products from meat processing. One that comes to mind is scrapple- not quite sure what's in it but is appears to be everything left over ground up into a cake which is then sliced and fried and served with maple syrup.

The stuff I make is no where near the hog's head stew that was part of the original recipe. The meats used on the recipe I use are all muscle cuts.
And that's probably true of 99 or 100% of stew today. But that's not going to change my wife's view!:doh:
Now, I had grandparents that ate exotic food- by-products from meat processing. One that comes to mind is scrapple- not quite sure what's in it but is appears to be everything left over ground up into a cake which is then sliced and fried and served with maple syrup.
Scrapple is common where I come from. I don't think anyone knows what's in it.:faint2: And don't ask my bwife's opinion of that. Or spam.

Back
Top Bottom