Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

I've talked to other people that've been thru it, not one I've ever spoken with had an issue with the law or being sued by the bad guy. It's a collective paranoia
Like someone else pointed out, your experience came out well. That is not always the case. I have seen judges and juries do some REALLY weird things.

In one case a judge did not like my client, so even though he allowed my testimony into the record, he refused to face me or hear the evidence, therefore he did not consider it in his decision. I hope you're sitting down... He decided against my client. My client won on appeal because of the judges behavior, but even winning on appeal costs money.

Another client lost a malpractice case. The plaintiff had been born with two club feet. She got surgery to correct them. The doctor did one foot at a time. After the first surgery, the woman's fiance claimed that the corrected foot made him realize how bad her uncorrected foot was and he left her. Her suit claimed that the doctor did too good of a job. She won.

Even here in GA we have laws that are supposed to protect us, but they do not. One county near Atlanta will confiscate your firearm if you are pulled over and identify yourself as a CCW carrier. Their explanation is that they want to make sure the weapon was not used in a crime and they will return it when their investigation is complete. A gun rights group took them to court to return one man's pistol and still it took months to get it back.

Never assume that your situation is the standard. It only takes once for someone to have an anti-gunner in a powerful position ruin your financial health or take you freedom. I am glad you fared well. I hope I never have to try my luck.

Like someone else pointed out, your experience came out well. That is not always the case. I have seen judges and juries do some REALLY weird things.

In one case a judge did not like my client, so even though he allowed my testimony into the record, he refused to face me or hear the evidence, therefore he did not consider it in his decision. I hope you're sitting down... He decided against my client. My client won on appeal because of the judges behavior, but even winning on appeal costs money.

Another client lost a malpractice case. The plaintiff had been born with two club feet. She got surgery to correct them. The doctor did one foot at a time. After the first surgery, the woman's fiance claimed that the corrected foot made him realize how bad her uncorrected foot was and he left her. Her suit claimed that the doctor did too good of a job. She won.

Even here in GA we have laws that are supposed to protect us, but they do not. One county near Atlanta will confiscate your firearm if you are pulled over and identify yourself as a CCW carrier. Their explanation is that they want to make sure the weapon was not used in a crime and they will return it when their investigation is complete. A gun rights group took them to court to return one man's pistol and still it took months to get it back.

Never assume that your situation is the standard. It only takes once for someone to have an anti-gunner in a powerful position ruin your financial health or take you freedom. I am glad you fared well. I hope I never have to try my luck.
Thank you

The law protected me and punished the guilty but you guys keep fanning the paranoia. If you're that afraid of dealing with the consequences of why you carry in the first place stop carrying

Agreed, DO NOT say anything without a lawyer.. My lawyer says it is true that "Whatever you say. WILL be used against you." i would only say that you feared for your life, and you need time to calm down and reflect on what happened. and CALL your lawyer.

AND expect that your gun will be taken away, and stored (with the police) until all legal activities are concluded.

D Durango00 , who said anything about paranoia? The point most of us are making is to be careful; careful with what you do and with what you say after you do it. We are all on the same side here. Most of the residents of these hallowed threads have made the commitment to place ourselves in harms way for the good of our families, loved ones and even strangers. That's why we carry, to give ourselves the greatest chance for success in those situations. I know that you, more than most, know this already and I respect your position. But for those whose incidents turn out not to be so cut and dry it is better to remain quiet than to say too much. In SOME instances there is a lot riding on the spoken details, and as I mentioned you can't ever unsay something. I realize there is no cookie cutter answer to this question and I'm very glad, as one of the good guys, your situation worked out so well.

I'm not wealthy, not a bachelor. I'm a dad and a husband. I don't have an attorney on retainer. I talked to the cops. OMG...I didn't go to jail and wasn't charged, didn't need therapy or to share my feelings with a support group, no civil suits were filed
Amazing how that works

I'm not wealthy, not a bachelor. I'm a dad and a husband. I don't have an attorney on retainer. I talked to the cops. OMG...I didn't go to jail and wasn't charged, didn't need therapy or to share my feelings with a support group, no civil suits were filed
Amazing how that works
Did you watch the videos? Did you learn ANYTHING?

Amazing how that works

Glad you were the exception and not the rule.

But when Attorney's, Judges and COPS tell you NOT to talk to the cops, it is best to use that rule of thumb as SOP.

Did you watch the videos? Did you learn ANYTHING?
Nope, none of your youtube videos or "advice" matter to me. Didn't you learn ANYTHING from the advice from someone that's been thru it.....apparently not
Glad you were the exception and not the rule.

But when Attorney's, Judges and COPS tell you NOT to talk to the cops, it is best to use that rule of thumb as SOP.

I don't watch allot of youtube videos, guess it's a generation thing. I was raised to think for my self, use common sense and trust the police
Again, as someone that's been thru it I'm still shaking my head at all the constant paranoia. If you guys don't want to deal with the consequences, don't carry but don't keep coming back at me like my case was an isolated incident with an unbelievable outcome with the police when cases like mine are the norm

If want to learn how to "HALO" I'm not going to youtube to learn how, I'm going to trust the word of someone that's actually done it and not some guy who watched a video on it
You guys trust your internet advice and experience
I'll take the experience with what I learned and keep rolling
It's sad when someone cries wolf and everyone grabs their pitch forks but are just too afraid to use them and tell the man that did he's wrong

Back
Top Bottom