• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Group

By no means was I suggesting that an arbitrary point in the North GA mountains would be a good spot to B.O. to. It is a good place to train though. Train to bet to your pre-setup BOL if your car didn't like the EMP. Most of the DSits I've mistakenly gotten into a conversation with, that are completely unprepared except for a rifle and some DBU's, plan on just 'heading to the mountains'. To me, they are the true definition of a Zombie; a hungry, dehydrated city-goer with a rifle in the mountains right after realizing that when you turn the shiny lever, water is not going to come out anymore, and Taco Bell can seem to fire up the microwave.

Sorry... do I sound cynical? I think I need to take up a fun activity like collecting butterflies or basket weaving. Actually... the latter may not be such a bad idea.

!

I live up here in the middle of the NF. If the SHTF, we are going to drop the bridge at Tallulah Falls and the Chattooga River. That only leave 2 passes with paved roads. We all have guns and we know the trails. What make you think we are going to let you in:)
cool plan

I live in Blue Ridge. Even if there were a mad dash from anywhere to here, I somehow doubt that the interior areas of the Blue Ridge WMA, Coopers Creek WMA, or Rich Mountain WMA would be overrun with people. Additionally, I believe there would be plenty of game to eat in these areas, for the simple reason that most of the big game in this region, deer in particular, are fringe animals. A sudden influx of people would push this game deeper into the mountains. Finally, for someone who knows what they're doing, there is no reason to not find plenty of material for a comfortable shelter out in these mountains.

I think a group like this that teaches basic survival skills, especially to youngsters and inexperienced outdoorsman, could be very productive. I'd be leery of self defense and hand to hand skills not taught by certified, proven instructors.

Then again, I'm just a simple hillbilly who's been lucky enough to grow up in these mountains as well as survive Bosnia, Iraq, and Afghanistan...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom