• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Group

talkstosquirrels

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
I am setting up a post SHTF survival group. It will be somewhere in a National Forest of the N GA mountains.

The purpose is two fold:
1) Put our BOB's to use in order to refine and keep current.
2) Grow a group of like minded individuals to share our knowledge between each other and increase awareness surrounding our interests focusing on a deferent topic each month.

Topics will include:

• Communication. ie: Ham, scanner, long range hand held & cell.
• Power. Solar, kinetic, hydro.
• Protection. Weapons, hand to hand, bow, knife and disarming.
• Continued food and water sources.
• Post SHTF community growth.
• Finance and documentation. Silver, gold, copies/original docs and bartering.
• All other areas agreed upon.

First topic will be continued food and water sources. Edible vegetation/animals in our region. Identification, dressing and preparing.

1-2 nights of the last, or first weekend of each month regardless of weather. . Monthly involvement is not necessary to participate.

All interested parties PM me and I will contact you back with the details after the 1st of Jan 2011.

Bring your skill, your mind, your family and your dedication towards survival of the fittest. All ages, backgrounds, skill set's are welcomed. The ones that are supposed to connect will, the rest will stay in complacency.

Thank you.

Let the list begin.

OK....I understand the training aspect of what your plan entails, but let me get this straight:
You intend to set up an area to meet for post-SHTF. A good idea in itself, but you want to set it up in "the North Georgia mountains? Georgia_population_map.jpg" There are some inherent problems with that particular idea....let's examine some of the potential problems.

1) There are some NF areas in the mountains, but the mountains are where about half of Atlanta will beheaded to in the event of a SHTF. So I guss you want to be a part of 2 million people trying to get out of the city.

2)The mountains are already saturated with people. If you look at a population map of Georgia, you wouls see the mountains are already. I have attatched a Georgia dempgraphics map from the 2000 census.
So you want to compete with an already established population, that already dislikes anyone with a Fulton, Gwinett, Dekalb, or Cobb tag? Makes sense to me. Ever seen deliverance? Well...there are a lot of people still here pretty much like that. Old family homeplaces, and well established relationships within family "hollers" are hard to break.

3) Living off the land in the mountains requires a lot of skill, and a lot of knowledge. You may think it gets cold in downtown Atlanta, and it does at times, but some places up here stay that way most of the year! I can take you to a huge portion of some mountain counties that don't even see direct sunlight until July. Do you know what that does to a growing season? Not to mention the lack of game. It is well known throughout the hunting community, that the mountains are scarece of game, when compared to the Piedmont, and coastal plain areas.....and did I mention the growing seasons there as well? The mountains have less game, shorter growing seasons, less natural forage, than almost all other areas of the state.

4)Navigation in the southern Appalachians/Blue Ridge, requires a bit more skill, and physicality, than most average Georgians are used to. Knowing your way around the mountains come from generations passing down knowledge of ancient trails, some from as afar back as indian times. Just knowing Jacks River Trail, may get you from Cisco to Blue Ridge may not be good enough...knowing that you may have to take the "Old Post trail" or the "Old Pelham Trail" through "Sally Gap" to avoid some danger, may be what is required.....knowing the easy travel gaps, switchbacks, and easy river crossings, could be the difference between coming face to face with trouble, freezing , or worse. The locals use these to their advantage....but you could be hopelessly lost, or at the least waste valuable time and energy, going up/down a steep ravine that you could have easily by-passed

NOW.... take a look at middle and south Georgia:

1) Low population that is properly dispersed. look at the population map. The competetion for living spaces will be much less.
2)Aubundant game....why do you think your deer lease is in Washington county? Much longer growing season. You can find more wild eats in the middle & south than you can in the mountains any day of the year. much much milder weather, making life in general much easier..
3)It is for the most part, flat, providing good visibility, easy travel/navigation.

Look...I am no expert by any definition, I am just looking at some basic facts that you may be over looking. Everytime I hear the conversation about bugging out from someone south of Cartersville, or Gainesville, I always hear the same plan, " I plan to bug out to the north Georgia mountains." It is as if half the population of Atlanta, knows how to survive in the mountains, or thinks there may be a huge amount of security in the montains, but the fact is it can be a hard life here in the mountains. Take away the basics, (running water, electricity, the county clearing a few roads in the winter) and the montains get even more harsh, and real fast...throw a few hill billies with 30-30's and a scoped 30-06, into the soup, and all of a sudden that high dollar ATV, custom M4, your MREs, and 511 pants are not much good...except to Ricky Lee, Sue Ellen, and the rest of the Gilmer county home guard.

If half of Atlanta heads south they'll be SOL too ! No place to hide and can seen for quite a distance in these flat feilds where the food grows. Might want to start a training session in Atlanta since it'll be 1/2 occupied wshtf.

Back
Top Bottom