• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Book Recommendation Thread

If you want some more fiction, try the following by S.M. Stirling
"The Emberverse series
Main article: The Emberverse series
Dies the Fire (2004) shows the effects on the planet-a world Nantucket left-of something called "The Change". Electricity, guns, explosives, internal combustion engines, and steam power no longer work. The series mostly deals with the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, with some description of the United Kingdom. After describing how people in those places survive the loss of 600 years of technological progress, the primary focus of this series turns to a conflict between a Portland-based neo-feudal dictatorship created by a sociopathic history professor, and the free communities of the Willamette Valley, most notably the Wiccan Clan Mackenzie and a group led by a former Marine, the Bearkillers.

Dies the Fire (2004-07-01)
The Protector's War (2005-09-06)
A Meeting at Corvallis (2006-09-05)
A second tetralogy, set 22 years after the Change, is in progress:

The Sunrise Lands (2007-09-04)
The Scourge of God (2008-09-02)
The Sword of the Lady (2009)
The High King of Montival (2010) "

- Quoted area taken from Wikipedia....

This, especially the first one talks alot about survival of people unprepared and the hardships involved, but does so in a world without modern physics and chemistry working the way we are used to. You'll have to take that part with a grain of salt if trying to draw correlations to what you might do in a post-TEOTWAWKI, but still worth the read. The first three books I highly recommend, the second three get a little more tied down with religion and philosophy and really weren't my thing.

Also, "Alas Babylon" a bit dated but worth the read if you haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.

I didn't really like Patriots. It was a good enough read, in that I finished it, but as a free-thinking person it left a lot to be desired. All I can say really is that most conservative Christians will probably enjoy it, while anyone else will feel left out in some way or another.

Example:

One group member recollected about his college years where he learned that anyone who smokes pot recreationally is bound to break into your house and steal your guns to fund their ever-increasing drug habit. That had me laughing for a good bit.

Thanks for the tip on "One Second After," I think I'll pick that up next.

+1 for One Second After: the writing is clearly a step up from Patriots, the realism is far superior, and the author does weave his personal biases into the story as Rawles did.

And +1 for Atlas Shrugged as well. Beware as it is massive and a heavy read at points. And beware especially that the comparison of Rand's story with current day trends may be more than alarming. But it is one of the most enlightening books ever written. And as much as it looks like a "downer", if you keep your mind focused on your future and what you can do to get where you want, Shrugged is uplifting and empowering like nothing else.

I didn't really like Patriots. It was a good enough read, in that I finished it, but as a free-thinking person it left a lot to be desired. All I can say really is that most conservative Christians will probably enjoy it, while anyone else will feel left out in some way or another.

Example:

One group member recollected about his college years where he learned that anyone who smokes pot recreationally is bound to break into your house and steal your guns to fund their ever-increasing drug habit. That had me laughing for a good bit.

1) How to Survive the End of the World as we know it - James Wesley Rawles

2) How to Survive Economy Downturn

http://www.survival-books.com/SurviveEconomy.htm

3) Ranger Rick's Digest Series

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.as...=548&cm_sp=ItemBanners-_-WhatsHot_548-_-19176

Not a book, but one site you'll really need
http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/sos_training.htm

In Georgia, the Militia of Georgia offers S.P.I.K.E. - Specially Prepared Individuals for Key Events

The course was initiated by Lt. Col. James "Bo" Gritz (USA, Ret.) a former Green Beret and CIA operative. It consists of the same program administered to Green Berets, Navy SEALs, Rangers and DELTA Forces (though the physical portions have been toned down for the average guy)

Example:

Patriots is a fairly poorly written novel. Rawles was so intent on getting a ton of non-fiction info into the story, it comes across as one of those narrated, government-produced training films of the 1950s.

On the other hand, How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It was spot on excellent. Rawles is much better at non-fction than fiction.

And nobody's mentioned The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead. THAT is a fun book!

Did not care for the Patriot. Lots of books out there on survival. Non-fiction books that have not been mentioned:

SAS Survival Handbook (Must have IMHO)
Tom Brown Series
When All Hell Breaks Loose and 98.6 Degrees (Cody Lundin)

I've got one of the rare CIA/Special Forces black books no longer available anywhere. Been looking for another copy for years ! If anyone has one they want to sell or trade I'll take it !!!!

Back
Top Bottom