• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 garden thread

What are y’all’s thoughts on pressure treated lumber for raised beds? Wife wants to add more real estate to the garden this spring. Reading mixed opinions. I’m reading they changed the treatment and it’s mostly copper. Cedar doesn’t seem to last like it used to. I’m thinking they grow the trees so fast they don’t have as much of the good oils in the wood,
I used roofing tin for some of mine. I have pressure treated wood as the frame on the outside but it doesn’t touch dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 20
Here’s ours. We did 3 for a test run. If it works out we will add 6 more. There’s a horse farm next door so we use the composted hay from their stables as the base and then just top soil from Lowe’s with some soil (sandy) from our yard. We have potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, blue berries, strawberries, cucumbers, and raspberries. I really want solar at our house too…already on well water. Want to install a manual pump if power ever goes out.
IMG_2602.jpeg

IMG_2601.jpeg
IMG_2603.jpeg

Here’s ours. We did 3 for a test run. If it works out we will add 6 more. There’s a horse farm next door so we use the composted hay from their stables as the base and then just top soil from Lowe’s with some soil (sandy) from our yard. We have potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, blue berries, strawberries, cucumbers, and raspberries. I really want solar at our house too…already on well water. Want to install a manual pump if power ever goes out. View attachment 7005776
View attachment 7005777View attachment 7005778
Nice raised beds are the way to go:thumb:

Here’s ours. We did 3 for a test run. If it works out we will add 6 more. There’s a horse farm next door so we use the composted hay from their stables as the base and then just top soil from Lowe’s with some soil (sandy) from our yard. We have potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, blue berries, strawberries, cucumbers, and raspberries. I really want solar at our house too…already on well water. Want to install a manual pump if power ever goes out. View attachment 7005776
View attachment 7005777View attachment 7005778
was the horse poo pretty old? I tried using it one time. It was from a guys place I mowed his pastures. He had the poop and shaving piled up. Could be wrong but it seemed like I had more weeds of different type after using it.

was the horse poo pretty old? I tried using it one time. It was from a guys place I mowed his pastures. He had the poop and shaving piled up. Could be wrong but it seemed like I had more weeds of different type after using it.
This is the case w/ both horse and cow manure; unless the hay was treated w/ a weed herbicide. The weed seeds survive the digestion and grow like a.... well..... weed. LOL

No we just used it for filler and then did the other half with top soil. The pile was pretty broken down and when the owner dug into it with it tractor it let off a ton of steam. Assuming the steam was a lot of decomposition. I was worried too about the hay particles just growing through and so far it’s he about 40 days and nothing.

This is the case w/ both horse and cow manure; unless the hay was treated w/ a weed herbicide. The weed seeds survive the digestion and grow like a.... well..... weed. LOL
The bad thing using manure unless from a trusted source the herbicide Grazon the cow and horses eat also can kill your vegetables if the hey or pasture they were in was treated with it. It passes right through the animals and into the soil. It will keep veggies from growing for a couple of seasons. I had a friend get a bunch of manure from a farmer and he killed about a half acre garden. Nothing would grow except grass. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom