• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 garden thread

View attachment 6880047View attachment 6880048Spot on OP. ORGANIC all the way. This year our garden will mostly be in above ground beds made with lumber that I treated with an all natural organic coating. No pressure treated wood. Chemicals can leach into your food. Do not use railroad crossties either for the same reason. Soil going in the beds this week. Had to bulk order the organic soil and adding from our compost bins I’ve been filling up this past year. Greenhouse almost finished for the indoor seeding, sprouting, growing for next year’s garden.
Post 20 top photo- is the wispy stuff right foreground asparagus? Looks like it. I have some 3rd year crowns I hope to get edible shoots from. Seemed too skinny last year to harvest. Has 3rd year harvest been your experience with asparagus?

Post 20 top photo- is the wispy stuff right foreground asparagus? Looks like it. I have some 3rd year crowns I hope to get edible shoots from. Seemed too skinny last year to harvest. Has 3rd year harvest been your experience with asparagus?
The H shaped bed is asparagus yes. And we actually got some year 2 but it usually is a 3rd year crop.

IMG_6205.pngIMG_6205.png

What are y’all’s thoughts on pressure treated lumber for raised beds? Wife wants to add more real estate to the garden this spring. Reading mixed opinions. I’m reading they changed the treatment and it’s mostly copper. Cedar doesn’t seem to last like it used to. I’m thinking they grow the trees so fast they don’t have as much of the good oils in the wood,

What are y’all’s thoughts on pressure treated lumber for raised beds? Wife wants to add more real estate to the garden this spring. Reading mixed opinions. I’m reading they changed the treatment and it’s mostly copper. Cedar doesn’t seem to last like it used to. I’m thinking they grow the trees so fast they don’t have as much of the good oils in the wood,
No to the pressure treated lumber. It’s toxic to be growing food in. Get regular lumber and treat it with this.

IMG_2691.jpeg

Would personaly go with birdies raised beds if i had the cash

Back
Top Bottom