2024 garden thread

My hoop house is all planted. We started seedlings early and transplanted a lot. Direct sowed a lot as well. Think it's gonna be a good year. Went heavy with planting as we are still trying to figure out what works well in our AO. It's a sizable greenhouse so probably gonna have far more than we can eat. First year for fruit bushes so no fruit this year I would think but the blueberries appear to be coming in strong. Rasberries and blackberries were bare root so they are taking longer. They were only planted in winter. 2nd year on fruit tree orchard so I'm thinking limited fruit next year (already pinching off fruit this year especially the peaches) then more each consecutive year.

My hoop house is all planted. We started seedlings early and transplanted a lot. Direct sowed a lot as well. Think it's gonna be a good year. Went heavy with planting as we are still trying to figure out what works well in our AO. It's a sizable greenhouse so probably gonna have far more than we can eat. First year for fruit bushes so no fruit this year I would think but the blueberries appear to be coming in strong. Rasberries and blackberries were bare root so they are taking longer. They were only planted in winter. 2nd year on fruit tree orchard so I'm thinking limited fruit next year (already pinching off fruit this year especially the peaches) then more each consecutive year.
I just picked up an all american canner. It showed up last week. I'm ready to give it a shot this year. I'm in the same boat. We've planted way more than we can eat.

I just picked up an all american canner. It showed up last week. I'm ready to give it a shot this year. I'm in the same boat. We've planted way more than we can eat.
dehydrators /oxygen absorbers work good too. I've done okra, tomato, figs and blueberries. All with good effect.
thyme, rosemary, oregano and sage dry and store well too. The little oxygen absorbers are the bomb.

We have no clue what were doing but were learning and having fun along the way. Squash, zucchini, and beans on the rise.

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpeg
    IMG_4707.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 15
I plan to can a lot this year, but canning on a large scale can be a giant pain in the butt. I want to try my hand at large scale pickling this year. It's easier to stick, for example, 300 carrots in a large drum and pickle them than can them. 55 gallon drum of cabbage for saurkraut or kimchi. Pickled beets, okra, etc. Far less time comsuming and fermented foods are good for you too. Not good for everything but im excited to try it. I do like to pressure can venison. Makes it very tender and pulling out a can for a stroganoff is super easy.

For context, my hoophouse is 120'x30'. With the beds in it, we have over 1500sqft of plantable, irrigated bed space. And all my fruit is elsewhere, so that's just for veggies. Not as big a garden as probably some on here plant, but it seems like a lot to a novice like me. I'm excited to see how the summer turns out. We successfully overwintered onions, garlic, kale and even spinach and lettuce in there. Even through the coldest days where it was 10 degrees.

What are you guys using for irrigation?
I use a thick mulch of straw around all my plants and pine shavings between each row to hold in the moisture. It helps to keep all my soil wet damp most of the time, I use the garden hose to water a couple of times a week in between. I'm thinking after a couple more years of piling on straw it will cut way back on needing to water much.

Back
Top Bottom