Stuck buffer tube detent

Take it over to Gazaway Machine & Tool in Alpharetta. Perhaps they can help. 770 576-0011

I have had many that would not slide in free. Always threw them out.
Once it is in - only way out is to mill it.

Last edited:
The pictures help a lot ...

Did you say you thought that the thing has been epoxied or super
-glued?

Perhaps securely placing it in a drill press. and using a long thin slow-turning bit, you could either get a hole in it or
get it to break loose and come out ...

Clark,

It shouldnt be that tight of a fit. There should be a spring under it and the hole sized to allow the pin to "float" It just seems like someone may have
used glue or loctite? I really dont know.

Dave

Clark,

It shouldnt be that tight of a fit. There should be a spring under it and the hole sized to allow the pin to "float" It just seems like someone may have
used glue or loctite? I really dont know.

Dave

You never know if the pin was oversized or if the lower isn't drilled to spec. It may have been assembled without the spring and just stuck in there by friction. Who knows? I think you're on the right track though. A machine shop should be able to mill it out with a bit that's larger than the nipple on the detent, but smaller than the hole in the receiver.

I'd get a replacement detent pin and take it with you. If they are successful removing the pin, you can test fit the new one and if necessary, let them open up the hole in the lower at the same time.

Not saying that a machine shop is not the best idea, but I would take a small pin punch held at a 45 degree angle from the real and give it a couple of whacks with a plastic mallet before rushing to the machine shop..

Back
Top Bottom