Stuck buffer tube detent

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I bought a used billet lower and on dis-assembly I saw that the buffer tube detent wasnt right. Some how the small spring is missing
and the detent pin itself is in the hole. However, it is stuck. Hard to get a mental picture. The detent should be floating on a small spring, again it's gone but I'm unable to get the pin out of the hole. I cant get a grip on the nipple. I've broken the tips of my finest needle nose
pliers. I've tried WD40, liquid wrench, heat, and cold. This shouldnt be so hard I think someone super glued it in:mad: I'm about to try to drill it out put I'm sure that nipple is going to bounce around and I dont want to booger up the buffer tube threads ruining a billet lower :grey:

Any ideas or suggestions????

Liquid wrench and small vise grip pliers.
There are a lot of out of spec detects around as we'll as tight detent holes. I often have to try several to get one tat works correctly.

Letting it soak after using acetone... There is nothing to grab. The nipple is below the edge of the hole. I've broken the tips on my 90 degree needle nose pliers. The only thing I can think of is some sort of "easy out" tap into it and pull with some sort of screw/bolt attached. Maybe a dremel tool...?????

Letting it soak after using acetone... There is nothing to grab. The nipple is below the edge of the hole. I've broken the tips on my 90 degree needle nose pliers. The only thing I can think of is some sort of "easy out" tap into it and pull with some sort of screw/bolt attached. Maybe a dremel tool...?????

I would try to drill it with as small a bit as will work and then screw a screw remover into that hole to give you something to pull on.

With the buffer tube screwed out of the lower, the detent should fall out. If not get another spring and detent, maybe cut the spring a little shorter, and install over top of the stuck detent. If that doesn't work, drill the hole out just a little bit, and maybe detent will fall out.Just would need some indexed drill bits. I can't see it as that critical on tolerances, as the buffer tube screws in over the detent to hold the buffer weight in the tube.

Use hydraulic pressure. Don't try and drill it out from the top. Drill a hole from the back that can and will be covered with the back plate. Then pour some oil in the hole, take a dowel the same size as the hole you drilled, sick the dowel in the hole and smack it with a hammer forcing the oil against the detent and hopefully out of the lower. You may have to do it a couple times.

Use hydraulic pressure. Don't try and drill it out from the top. Drill a hole from the back that can and will be covered with the back plate. Then pour some oil in the hole, take a dowel the same size as the hole you drilled, sick the dowel in the hole and smack it with a hammer forcing the oil against the detent and hopefully out of the lower. You may have to do it a couple times.

Boom. That's good thinking right there.

Back
Top Bottom