Stuck buffer tube detent

I bought a used billet lower and on dis-assembly I saw that the buffer tube detent wasnt right. Some how the small spring is missing
and the detent pin itself is in the hole. However, it is stuck. Hard to get a mental picture. The detent should be floating on a small spring, again it's gone but I'm unable to get the pin out of the hole. I cant get a grip on the nipple. I've broken the tips of my finest needle nose
pliers. I've tried WD40, liquid wrench, heat, and cold. This shouldnt be so hard I think someone super glued it in:mad: I'm about to try to drill it out put I'm sure that nipple is going to bounce around and I dont want to booger up the buffer tube threads ruining a billet lower :grey:

Any ideas or suggestions????

What was holding the buffer in place?

What was holding the buffer in place?
Nothing. When got it the pin was barely touching the buffer. I have no idea where the small spring that's suppose to be under the detent pin is??? I can't see how this pin can be wedged in the hole unless someone glued or hammered it in? Really strange. I appreciate the suggestions but I don't want to drill additional holes and Im rethinking the Dremel tool. I may try a machine shop with the proper tools to drill/machine the pin out. I don't want to destroy a billet lower.

Ok here is another idea. Small grinding stone in the dremel, grind the nub completely flat. Center punch and drill thru the detent (it's hollow) and tap the hole you drilled. Thread a screw down thru it....you should be able to just thread the screw in and bottom it out and the remainder of the detent will walk is way out. If not you should be able to pull on the screw at that point

Nothing. When got it the pin was barely touching the buffer. I have no idea where the small spring that's suppose to be under the detent pin is??? I can't see how this pin can be wedged in the hole unless someone glued or hammered it in? Really strange. I appreciate the suggestions but I don't want to drill additional holes and Im rethinking the Dremel tool. I may try a machine shop with the proper tools to drill/machine the pin out. I don't want to destroy a billet lower.

Good idea. All the rest of these suggestions sound like a good way to screw up your lower. Curious to know what is going on with that pin. Makes me wonder if the hole was undersized.

I just grabbed that video as it is accurate and displays the basic premise.

I had massive one and stuck it (on a double toggle ) inside of my computer case, between the drives when I was in the Middle east.
just in case...

WOW! Talk about being "on the horns of a dilemma"!

Have you tried calling one of your other AR-15 manufacturer's technical service for some advice on this?
Probably a waste of time, but what's a phone call going to waste you!

Attempting to drill out the "hard" detent that is captured inside a relatively "soft" material (like the material that the lower is crafted)
sounds like the recipe for a disaster! If the magnet solution(s) don't work. The advice to drill a small hole from the other-side appears to be the most likely to work and do the
least damage to to the lower. Otherwise, drilling (a bigger hole) from the top (allowing you to remove the captured detent) and resleeving the hole would be your next best bet.
Having this (either hole option) done by an experienced machinist would be recommended!

Let us know what you find to work ...

Best Wishes, and Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'm stepping away... it has won for now... My brother in FL suggested a milling machine like what carved it out in the first place. I dont
have a milling machine in my back pocket...:grey:

i39.tinypic.com_5z4hau.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_5nlncx.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_2cf7drc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom