• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

St Augustine surf fishing recommendations

Animalguy

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
81   0
Reaction score
The family is going to St Augustine in a couple of weeks and I want to plan to fish from the beach.
I assume maybe Pompano rigs with shrimp or sand fleas catching pompano and croakers?
Any advice welcome on fish species, bait, rigs, line weights, etc.

Not really the time of year for pompano, but the standard pomp rigs still work for what is there. You'll get bit off by bonnetheads a lot if you don't beef up your leaders. I'd focus on whiting in the surf at your feet if you just want to keep busy and get something to eat. A medium spinning outfit is good enough for that. Publix shrimp and fishbites are easy bait.

You'd have more fun if you took a kayak and fished around the pogie pods. You'd catch mostly sharks, but there's other stuff and the likelihood of jumping tarpon. I really should sell off my beach tarpon tackle box. I'm probably too old for that anymore. If you try it keep any eye on the beach. It's real easy to get further out than you want to paddle back from.

Was just there last month.

Guys were catching some nice sized Kings and Spanish Macks from the pier with live bait.

Only saw a few fishing from the beach and they were catching small sharks.

Back
Top Bottom