• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Carolina law.

jmullinix

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
I am a Georgia resident and will be traveling to South Carolina today. I am aware that SC does not reciprocate with Georgia on their carry licenses.

I have just finished reading the SC law and it looks like I can transport my loaded pistol in my vehicle's console or glove box legally. Am I reading this correctly or should I just put it in my luggage.

I obtained my info from here:

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx

section 16.23.20, subitem 9

That's the way I understand it and I don't think the compartment has to be locked, just an integral fastener which I'm guessing is just a latch.

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

does that mean loaded or unloaded---in Fla you can not be in reach of the ammo and the gun must be unloaded---they will take you to jail with a loaded gun in the car w/o a cwp

does that mean loaded or unloaded---in Fla you can not be in reach of the ammo and the gun must be unloaded---they will take you to jail with a loaded gun in the car w/o a cwp
Need to do better research. Fla and Ga law are almost identical and actually have very strong laws aimed at being sure that tourists can be armed if they want.

I am a Georgia resident and will be traveling to South Carolina today. I am aware that SC does not reciprocate with Georgia on their carry licenses. I have just finished reading the SC law and it looks like I can transport my loaded pistol in my vehicle's console or glove box legally. Am I reading this correctly or should I just put it in my luggage. I obtained my info from here:http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspxsection 16.23.20, subitem 9
You are correct as I understand, although I would consider calling the SC Secretary of States office for any clarification.

Back
Top Bottom