• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoking meat with pecan wood questions.

That's what I was thinking on the bark issue, just was not 100% sure.
Guess I'll take a hatchet to it before splitting and try to remove bark while its green. I may have to let it dry a month or so to get it to pop off easier. About to find out

If you need some dry seasoned pecan PM me i have enough to share

PECAN, PEACH, APPLE, CHERRY, AND WALNUT, are best of fruit bearing trees to use in a smoker for a very distinctive flavor and aroma.

HICKORY, OAK, are the great good ole traditional woods to use and have there own flavor...

Just isn't anything like good smoked, venison, hawg, beef, goat, chicken and turkey...

We soak our wood in a 5 gallon bucket for 1-2 days, and 2 hours before using we let it drain, and after the bottom layer of coals hot and let the main drained wood on top and let the smoke pour over the meat...
About 8 -12 hour smoke and and savor the flavor, and enjoy the meal...

Pecan wood I heard is best for fish and chicken. I think hickory is best for pork and beef. But cut it in about 8 inch sections and half it up. And leave the bark on and let it set for about a month and a half. That should be seasoned enough. Then soak the wood in water before smoking I heard it does way better.

I've used Pecan on fish, but prefer Alder. Fish absorbs smoke quickly, so it needs a milder wood. I couldn't find Alder in chunks, so ordered some online. Try it next time you put a nice piece of fish in your smoker. In think you'll like it.

I use a combination of hickory, pecan, and mesquite wood chips. I soak them and put them mixed in a smoker cast iron box. I also add larger chunks to the charcoal when the chips are done.

20180530_202321.jpg

Shoveled pecan coals under this one all night about 15 years ago when some tornadoes went through South ga.

I've used Pecan on fish, but prefer Alder. Fish absorbs smoke quickly, so it needs a milder wood. I couldn't find Alder in chunks, so ordered some online. Try it next time you put a nice piece of fish in your smoker. In think you'll like it.
How long do you smoke fish (min/lb) or what temp do you take it off at?

How long do you smoke fish (min/lb) or what temp do you take it off at?

It depends if I'm truly smoking (usually at 160 degrees) or grilling with Charcoal/Alder. For Salmon I usually take it off right around 140 degrees, then let it rest. I've always had excellent results. It's not so much a timed cook, but waiting for the thickest part of the fish to reach temp.

I use ash wood for fish. It's very mild and is commonly recommended for fish. Main reason I use it, I have so much of it, I've been using it as firewood this winter and will do the same next year.

With fish I use time and temperature as approximations and go by feel. After 45 min at 160F check for doneness with a fork.

This is Norway mackerel. Cleaned, brined and rinsed before smoking, Behind it is some of my red oak and hickory. I also have a good amount of mulberry which goes great with poultry and pork.

Fish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom