• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking on a BGE: Question

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
245   0
Reaction score
So...something occurred to me this morning. For those of you who smoke on your Egg...do you buy wood chunks to add in that are not charcoal? I have been doing it...but then I started thinking that the charcoal was already wood...so do you even need to add the fresh wood chunks? Does it add more smoke flavor to do so? I've only been smoking on the Egg for about 2 years, but I've always added wood to the charcoal. Do I need to?

So...something occurred to me this morning. For those of you who smoke on your Egg...do you buy wood chunks to add in that are not charcoal? I have been doing it...but then I started thinking that the charcoal was already wood...so do you even need to add the fresh wood chunks? Does it add more smoke flavor to do so? I've only been smoking on the Egg for about 2 years, but I've always added wood to the charcoal. Do I need to?

My ex father inlaw does. I don’t have a bge but use a barrel style smoker with lump charcoal. I always add wood chunks that I’ve marinated in water. Sure can smell the flavor in those chunks vs just the old lump charcoal burning. I say do it!

Charcoal isn’t exactly still wood. It is carbon derived from burning wood without oxygen present. It will make little smoke and the aromatics present in wood have been burned off. You need to add wood chunks or chips to give it a smoky flavor. Different woods are preferable for different proteins.

I didn't think about the fact that the "flavor" would have already been burned out of the charcoal. I'll continue adding chunks.

I add wood chunks, usually mesquite and applewood, I can tell the flavor difference when I don’t. It seems to make the smoke ring a little deeper on things like pork butts too

IMG_1259.jpegIMG_0516.jpegIMG_2217.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom